[SOLVED] Windows 10 suddenly takes almost 10 minutes to boot

Jul 29, 2021
Hello Everyone!

My Windows 10 Home (version: 21H1 19043.1110) used to boot from SSD within 30 seconds. Now it takes almost 10 minutes just to get to the login screen. Already tried the following fix with no success:

• chkdsk
  • sfc /scannow
  • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • driver update
  • cold boot with all startup program disable
  • Many trials found on google (battery, performance, msconfig)

I also tried using WPA and WPR to capture boot sequence but lacking the knowledge to analyze it.
I could find that SearchApp.exe <CortanaUI> (5512) was showing really high duration, together with runtimebroker.exe. After capturing some WPR logs, I am not being able to see the logs as before. Maybe I have any filter applied.

Another relevant information is that WPR is showing boots under 300 seconds, when it actually takes almost 600 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated.

WPR Log:
WeTransfer

I'm also updating the Bootlog from other software called ProcessMonitor (I have seen other people analyzing boot sequence with it, but I could also not understand it). I'm sorry if this other log might interfere with the rules of this forum. Just let me know in this case.

ProcessMonitor Log:
WeTransfer

Thanks everyone!

Solution
could try booting off a Ubuntu Live USB, at least tell you if slowdown caused by ssd

How full is ssd?

I think the BIos time in the start tab of task manager just shows the amount of time it takes for bios to hand control to windows.
downlaods process monitor. Looks at bootlog, wishes he knew what he was looking for :)
Hello Everyone!

My Windows 10 Home (version: 21H1 19043.1110) used to boot from SSD within 30 seconds. Now it takes almost 10 minutes just to get to the login screen. Already tried the following fix with no success:

• chkdsk
  • sfc /scannow
  • driver update
I also tried using WPA and WPR to capture boot sequence but lacking the knowledge to analyze it.
I could find that SearchApp.exe <CortanaUI> (5512) was showing really high duration, together with runtimebroker.exe. After capturing some WPR logs, I am not being able to see the logs as before. Maybe I have any filter applied.

Another relevant information is that WPR is showing boots under 300 seconds, when it actually takes almost 600 seconds.

WPR Log:
WeTransfer

I'm also updating the Bootlog from other software called ProcessMonitor (I have seen other people analyzing boot sequence with it, but I could also not understand it). I'm sorry if this other log might interfere with the rules of this forum. Just let me know in this case.

ProcessMonitor Log:
WeTransfer

Thanks everyone!
Personally i'd get a spare ssd, and install win on it, see if it also has that issue

(i think your ssd may be to blame)

Reactions: creited
Hello Everyone!

• chkdsk
  • sfc /scannow
  • driver update

WPR Log:
WeTransfer

ProcessMonitor Log:
WeTransfer

Thanks everyone!
Task manager/startup.....upper right corner.
What does it show for bios time?

Jul 29, 2021
Personally i'd get a spare ssd, and install win on it, see if it also has that issue

(i think your ssd may be to blame)
Hi,

I agree that formating or changing the SSD would be the simplest way of solving, but this is my old fathers PC, which is used for his job. More than a backup, he needs all the shortcuts and files to be in the same place as they are now (believe me, a complete mess). Unfortunately, he is not able to get used with new places or fresh installs from now. That's why I'm trying to solve it without modifying the computer.

Tks

Colif

Win 11 Master
could try booting off a Ubuntu Live USB, at least tell you if slowdown caused by ssd

How full is ssd?

I think the BIos time in the start tab of task manager just shows the amount of time it takes for bios to hand control to windows.
downlaods process monitor. Looks at bootlog, wishes he knew what he was looking for :)

Solution
Jul 29, 2021

How full is ssd?

SSD has 02 partitions:
194 GB total | 99 GB free - System
251 GB total | 119 GB free - Files

Booting other OS from USB or other HDD/SSD work ok.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I agree that formating or changing the SSD would be the simplest way of solving, but this is my old fathers PC, which is used for his job. More than a backup, he needs all the shortcuts and files to be in the same place as they are now (believe me, a complete mess). Unfortunately, he is not able to get used with new places or fresh installs from now. That's why I'm trying to solve it without modifying the computer.

one solution is replace ssd and use cloning software so that the new one is identical to the old drive in the file structure. This is better than to use an old ssd that could die at any time and take it all.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:

-----------------------------

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD

Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)

If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.

Power off

Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD

Power up

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)

Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Ignore this section if using SDM)

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that

You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive

Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button

Wait until it is done

When it finishes, power off

Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD

This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive

Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order

If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.

Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.

This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Jul 29, 2021
one solution is replace ssd and use cloning software so that the new one is identical to the old drive in the file structure. This is better than to use an old ssd that could die at any time and take it all.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:

-----------------------------

Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD

Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)

If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.

Power off

Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD

Power up

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)

Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Ignore this section if using SDM)

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that

You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive

Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button

Wait until it is done

When it finishes, power off

Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD

This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive

Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order

If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.

Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.

This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
I understand but, are you sure that the SSD is faulty?

It is a new piece bought like 4-5 months ago (can be under warranty).

After the boot time, everything runs smoothly fast.

Jul 5, 2021
I could find that SearchApp.exe <CortanaUI> (5512) was showing really high duration
Have you tried simply disabling Cortana to see if it helps , some PC's don't play fair with Cortana if she isn't configured correctly , you can always re enable if it makes no difference but may get you closer to a clue as to why its doing it.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
im not sure its ssd, i was just going with what is most likely. You say PC boots fine off other drives which makes it look like its the ssd, as if it were slow off others then we could look elsewhere

drive isn't full so its not space.
10 seconds or so before logon screen could mean its looking for something, and once it times out, having not received an answer, continues boot.

I will look at boolog again tomorrow. I don't have time right now.

Jul 29, 2021
Have you tried simply disabling Cortana to see if it helps , some PC's don't play fair with Cortana if she isn't configured correctly , you can always re enable if it makes no difference but may get you closer to a clue as to why its doing it.

I had a Laptop recently play a few games like this , it turned out to be a battery issue / power supply !!
I posted here on the forum about it .
Yes, I could disable it, and renaming the process for .old so that it would not spawn automatically again, but nothing changed.

The other devices seems to be running ok, since no other issue is presented after the boot up.

Jul 29, 2021
im not sure its ssd, i was just going with what is most likely. You say PC boots fine off other drives which makes it look like its the ssd, as if it were slow off others then we could look elsewhere

drive isn't full so its not space.
10 seconds or so before logon screen could mean its looking for something, and once it times out, having not received an answer, continues boot.

I will look at boolog again tomorrow. I don't have time right now.

Ok, I appreciate your support.

Thank you very much!