Windows 10 System Restore >> DNS Issue

WOLFMANMcBAINE

Commendable
May 11, 2016
I have a problem with my computer. Before I could access the internet easily without issue. There were some sites I couldn't access all of a sudden and its the reason for the system restore. The last restore point was a "windows update" and I resorted it back to that day I updated the laptop. Of course I then had to update windows, but I immediately noticed I couldn't access the net via the Ethernet cable. I had an issue with Wi-fi connection long before and its not an option for me. Ethernet cable connection is the only way for me to browse without interruption.

I still have an undo windows restore. Should I go ahead with that? Will it fix the issue? Barring in mind accessing some sites is still a problem and it wasn't to do with my computer.

Solution
Try to clear the cache of your DNS configs.

Open your cmd.exe in Admin mode and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" without the "". After that, reboot your system.

Tell me if it worked. :p
Try setting DNS manually. I suggest 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as primary and secondary DNS. Those are Google's DNS servers and won't do stupid things like redirect you to ad links if you make a typo like many ISP DNS servers do. You can also use 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS) if you don't like Google.

Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> click your network name -> Properties -> highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 -> Properties -> Use the following DNS servers -> enter the above IP addresses.

I've actually run across the same problem as you - DNS failure after a Windows 10 update, even though LAN connectivity worked fine. Unfortunately the problem went away on its own before I was able to figure out what was causing it. If it truly is a DNS problem, setting DNS manually should bypass it. You can try switching it back to automatic every few days to see if the problem has resolved itself.

If the problem happens on other devices (not just this one Windows 10 computer), then try rebooting or resetting your router. (I actually recommend setting the above DNS IP addresses in your router, so everyone on your network uses them instead of your ISP's DNS.)

WOLFMANMcBAINE

Commendable
May 11, 2016
Thank you for your answer there Solandri. I've already tried OpenDNS and it doesn't work. I'll give the Google one a go although I'm not keen on it, but there you go. I'll let you know how things go! Thanks again.

LoVega

Honorable
Nov 12, 2016
Try to clear the cache of your DNS configs.

Open your cmd.exe in Admin mode and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" without the "". After that, reboot your system.

Tell me if it worked. :p

Solution

WOLFMANMcBAINE

Commendable
May 11, 2016

Wow It works lol. :) Brilliant. Thank you LoVega and thank you everyone for your replies. Tomshardware is now my new go to place for any issues I can't solve computer/os related. :D