Windows 10 Technical Preview Available For Mac Users Through Parallels

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Waiting for the obvious noob to come along and say "its not free because you still have to pay for the extra HDD" like they never had a spare HDD laying around collecting dust.

Eh good point. I have over 30 HDD's laying around my house for years now which is why I forget that not everybody has a bunch of old drives...

erickmendes

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
Even better, sell your Mac and buy an helicopter, a cadillac, a new house, make a face lift, go skying in Switzerland, build yourself a workstation with dual 1TB SSD and save the spare money for your childrens college.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I've been running Windows 10 Technical Preview under dual boot and VMWare Fusion's Bootcamp support since the first technical preview was released, so I really don't see what's so special about this announcement; the technical preview itself is free, and under the hood the OS is basically still just Windows 8 (the biggest changes are with the UI).

Unless Parallels are implying that it didn't work before then I don't see how anything's changed. And if it didn't work before then it means that Parallels was broken.

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013

You haven't actually done a side-by-side price comparison of Apple products in a long time, have you? Here, I'll help you.

Lenovo ThinkStation P900 Workstation
Xeon E-5 3.00Ghz CPU
8 GB DDR4 RAM
Dual Quadro K2200
256 GB SSD
Intel Thunderbolt Add-in Card
$3,446 as configured

Apple Mac Pro
Xeon E-5 3.70 Ghz CPU
12 GB DDR3 RAM
Dual AMD FirePro D300
256 GB SSD
Thunderbolt built-in
$2,999 as configured

Or maybe you're also under the false impression that their consumer products are outlandishly expensive as well.

Dell XPS 13 with QHD+ display
i5 2.2Ghz CPU
8GB DDR3 RAM
Intel HD Graphics 5500
128GB SSD
$1,299

Apple MacBook Pro with Retina display
i5 2.6GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Iris Graphics
128 SSD
$1,299

McHenryB

Admirable

Well, if you were at all open-minded, and had an intellectual interest in computers and operating systems, you might want to check out how Windows (Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris/QNX - pick one or more) is doing. Or you could just, in ignorance, proclaim that it is an inferior operating system and never know.

I've never understood why people get so defensive of one particular piece of software (or hardware) and feel the need to disparage competing products. There's no such thing as "best". I like to try them all at least once.

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013

I have tried all of them. My desktop, which is mostly for gaming, runs Windows. My last laptop, before I converted to Apple for laptops, ran Windows 7 at first and Ubuntu at the end of its life. I've also run various Ubuntu distros on various desktop and laptops over the years.

OS X is superior precisely because it is far, far, far more like Linux than Windows will ever be. No surprise, since OS X is actually a Unix distro in disguise. It's this that makes me always chuckle when the Linux fanbois come running to trash Mac anything at any chance they get.

OS X is what you would get if you dumped billions of dollars and decades of the best developers in the world into turning Linux into a usable and mass-marketable UI.

so yes, it is superior in every way.

The only reason I run Windows on my desktop is because it literally only has to serve as an intermediary between me and whatever game I want to load. I do real work on my Mac. Coding? Mac. Writing? Mac. Web browsing? Mac. Multimedia? Mac.

McHenryB

Admirable
Sorry, I didn't realize that you have tried the various Windows 10 Technical Previews.

Well if you have really tried "all of them" (by which I mean at least the ones that I mentioned) and cannot see the advantages of ZFS in Solaris and FreeBSD, or containers (Solaris) and Jails (FreeBSD) then I can only say that I am very surprised. And what about Storage Spaces in Windows 10? OS X has nothing like that to offer. You really think that OS X is better for embedded systems than QNX? Again, I am surprised.

I use OS X as my main general purpose OS, but I hope that I am open-minded enough to realize the advantages of other OSs. For my hobby of OS development I use Linux in a VM; OS X just can't touch the range of programming tools available on Linux. And, as you say, for gaming it really has to be Windows. For iOS programming OS X is best, but for general purpose applications it's hard to beat Visual Studio on Windows.

I agree with you about Linux fanboys. Only a really narrow-minded person would claim that any one OS excels in all respects. They are almost as bad as the OS X fanboys, or the Windows fanboys, who make the same claim for their chosen OS. The great thing is that nowadays there are so many different OSs available and one can choose the best one for the task in hand - for programming (certainly for OS programming) Linux is head and shoulders above the rest; for gaming it has to be Windows; and for general purpose stuff like web browsing OS X is probably the best choice (as long as you replace that horrible Safari with a decent browser). Embedded systems are a whole other boardgame.

So, let's keep an open mind. Horses for courses, and leave the blinkers behind. A closed mind is a dark and lifeless place.

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013

I agree with you completely, but this thread and the conversation are obviously about using Windows on a consumer oriented computer (PC or Mac). Discussions about the ideal OS for servers, network storage, embedded systems, etc. are irrelevant here.

If your computer already is running OS X you're obviously already not in one of the above categories, and you're already running the optimal OS for 99% of users. If you're not on an Apple built system (Macbook Pro or Air most likely) then this article is a moot point anyways because you can just load up Windows 10 the same way you'd install any other system.

And I have used the Windows 10 Technical Preview, I installed it as dual boot on my aforementioned desktop PC. It's definitely an improvement over Windows 8.1, but it's still a far cry from OS in terms of general purpose usability, functionality, and appeal.

McHenryB

Admirable
If your computer already is running OS X you're obviously already not in one of the above categories, and you're already running the optimal OS for 99% of users.
I'm sure you are right, but that other 1% - the adventurous ones, the inquisitive ones, the knowledgeable ones - amount to a huge number of people. These are the ones who will be open-minded enough to want to run Windows 10 Technical Preview on a Mac (and many of them will be readers of these forums - some in this thread have already indicated that they are doing this).

I appreciate that the 99% who aren't really interested in new things won't want to do this, and I accept that you are one of those 99%. So I guess if you had said "Why would I want to run Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Mac in the first place?" it would have been a fair question. And I guess the answer would have been that - if you aren't inquisitive - then you wouldn't want to. But instead you phrased the question in a way that put you firmly in the ranks of those Linux fanboys that you complain about. The only difference is that you hold blind allegiance to a different OS than them. That you can't appreciate diversity is sad.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

I have tried all of them. My desktop, which is mostly for gaming, runs Windows. My last laptop, before I converted to Apple for laptops, ran Windows 7 at first and Ubuntu at the end of its life. I've also run various Ubuntu distros on various desktop and laptops over the years.

OS X is superior precisely because it is far, far, far more like Linux than Windows will ever be. No surprise, since OS X is actually a Unix distro in disguise. It's this that makes me always chuckle when the Linux fanbois come running to trash Mac anything at any chance they get.

OS X is what you would get if you dumped billions of dollars and decades of the best developers in the world into turning Linux into a usable and mass-marketable UI.

so yes, it is superior in every way.

The only reason I run Windows on my desktop is because it literally only has to serve as an intermediary between me and whatever game I want to load. I do real work on my Mac. Coding? Mac. Writing? Mac. Web browsing? Mac. Multimedia? Mac.

"I do real work on my Mac. Coding? Mac. Writing? Mac. Web browsing? Mac. Multimedia? Mac."

That moment when you need an expensive Mac computer for coding/multimedia/writing/web browsing... can you get more hipster than this ?

A real Mac user would come with real arguments, like workflow or his photo editing/ video editing is better on the mac because of IPS pannels or w/e . not browsing the internet.

djcetra

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Seriously, don't we all know you can do this already? Who gives a crap it's to be expected, it's as if someone at Tom's Hardware just got a Mac and is realizing these things for the first time lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.