News Windows 10 Tips and Tricks: From Troubleshooting to Life-Changing Productivity Hacks

I solved all my Windows productivity problems a few years ago: I moved all my software to platform agnostic versions, then I switched to Linux. I still have to deal with Windows 10 at work (as the IT manager) and the slew of problems each update brings (boot loops, hardware that doesn't work anymore, lost data, automatic reboots that you can't cancel...), But at least when that happens I'm not the one looking for a solution through a cell phone - I'm usually the last one with a working computer...

Reactions: Rdslw

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
Productivity tips 1, 2 and 4 all link to the same page.
Also I get that news is slow at the moment with COVID-19 and everything, but what's with all the reposts lately?

Last edited:
I solved all my Windows productivity problems a few years ago: I moved all my software to platform agnostic versions, then I switched to Linux. I still have to deal with Windows 10 at work (as the IT manager) and the slew of problems each update brings (boot loops, hardware that doesn't work anymore, lost data, automatic reboots that you can't cancel...), But at least when that happens I'm not the one looking for a solution through a cell phone - I'm usually the last one with a working computer...
linux is not for everyone, not yet. but windows is becoming its own problem, causing so much stress and <Mod Edit> (meant problems, used a bit too strong words) both with work and at home for people that anything is better at this point.
I've seen my co-worker (only one with windows at my work) to connect keyboard to phone and email from there.

Last edited:
Get a custom hosts file from
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

This applies to all versions of Windows, at least back to 3.1 according to the wiki page.

This adds a proactive line of defense for blocking malware and unwanted sites.

A hosts file is like a custom DNS table that lets you link the Fully qualified domain name to an IP address of your choosing.

The site above does this but for "bad" sites.

By linking a hypothetical

0.0.0.0 www.wegiveyouvirus.c0m (This might actually exist)

You will be unable to visit the site and you will avoid the virus since 0.0.0.0 is not their IP address.