Question Windows 10 to AVR 5.1 vs Stereo

swzeng

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
I am a little confused as to how this works...So I am connecting my Sony STRDH550 to my RTX 2080 via HDMI then connecting my pc Monitor from the Sony STRDH550.

PC GPU->Sony STRDH550 -> PC Monitor

When I play a stereo source (youtube, music etc.) on Windows 10 5.1 setups, I don't hear any bass no matter what audio setting I select on my AVR (pro logic II movie/music, AFD/2CH. When I switch to just Stereo in Windows 10 then everything sounds correct. Also, while in the stereo mode, I also played some Dolby surround clips that I downloaded and it sounds correct to my all my speakers on a 5.1 setup.

Does that mean I should keep my Windows setting to Stereo and let my AVR determine the source format or am I missing anything? I am also doing PC gaming on this setup (Division 2, Far Cry 5 ect....) Thanks for your inputs.

All the surround settings W10 refers to the Mobo built-in sound codec and PC's analog outputs. You should ignore this when your are using an AVR, because you are outputting DIGITAL "as is" via HDMI and let the AVR do the audio processing. If you are not getting what u want, it has to do with your AVR configuration.

AVR config: First off, if u have a sub, then u must tell it you have a sub, USE IT. Then with surround sources, the AVR should automatically detect and use the proper codec. IF source is stereo, many AVR (trying to be helpful) default to using one of the fake surround modes. IMO fake surround sound terrible. I suggest configure AVR for.... if source=Stereo, either leave it stereo, or use a codec that plays stereo on ALL speakers. Every vendor use a different name for this Stereo->All Speakers. One of my boxes ia ALL STEREO, another was STEREO FRONT/REAR. Consult AVR manual.

swzeng

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
All the surround settings W10 refers to the Mobo built-in sound codec and PC's analog outputs. You should ignore this when your are using an AVR, because you are outputting DIGITAL "as is" via HDMI and let the AVR do the audio processing. If you are not getting what u want, it has to do with your AVR configuration.

AVR config: First off, if u have a sub, then u must tell it you have a sub, USE IT. Then with surround sources, the AVR should automatically detect and use the proper codec. IF source is stereo, many AVR (trying to be helpful) default to using one of the fake surround modes. IMO fake surround sound terrible. I suggest configure AVR for.... if source=Stereo, either leave it stereo, or use a codec that plays stereo on ALL speakers. Every vendor use a different name for this Stereo->All Speakers. One of my boxes ia ALL STEREO, another was STEREO FRONT/REAR. Consult AVR manual.

Thanks for your input, just to be clear, do I even configure the speakers under the Windows 10 sound options to 5.1 or leave it at default with stereo? Sorry if I am repeating the question. Thanks

swzeng

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
OK i set the front speakers to small and sub is now working. but when windows 10 is set to 5.1 only front and sub is working. Trying to get youtube and music source (all stereo) to play all speakers and is not working. Only front two and sub work when its stereo source even though on the AVR I selected Multi Stereo.
GPU HDMI -> to SONY AVR-> Monitor.

Last edited: