Windows 10 To Improve Security With Two-Factor Authentication, App Signing, More

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Cool features. :D But I'll wait until Windows 10 officially comes out, to check out the nice features & see if it gets good reviews.
It'd be cool if Microsoft could add the option to press F8 to get to safe mode on boot ike in Windows 7 because they removed that in Windows 8 & it can be a pain in the butt to e.g. uninstall graphics drivers.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
If memory serves me, last time I installed Windows 8.1 it asked for my 2-factor authenticator code just like Chrome does at first sign-in. How is it functionally different in Windows 10?

garrickaking

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Uh... Microsoft's 2 factor authentication appears to be years ahead of Google's... have you experienced the "Microsoft account" app for two factor authentication? It is SO much better, so much faster ,and so much easier to use that I actually switched from Gmail to Outlook.com, and have been happier with everything about it, so glad I did. Everywhere I sign in, the minute I submit my password, my phone asks me simply yes or no, and it takes within half a second. It is so impressive I was blown away the first time I used it after having used Google's two factor authentication for multiple personal and Google Apps for Business accounts. I'm extremely excited to roll it out to my Office 365 / Exchange Online users too.

I'd also be interested in comparing the amount of vulnerabilities in Chrome/Android and IE/Windows 8.1. This article stinks of hipster hate for MS.

Asok Asus

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
The only way any OS Windows will ever be even close to secure is if Microsoft quits automatically giving superuser privilege to ALL user accounts by default, and instead make all new installation instances of Windows OS default to having an Admin account with superuser privilege and one or more limited-privilege accounts for the user(s) to do their daily work.

In addition, by default, NO .exe or .dll or other binary program should be executable in the context of any limited-privilege account, meaning that all binary software MUST first be installed from a superuser account for the system to use as a whole. It will also most likely be necessary to prevent even non-binary programs from running in the user-context without explicitly granting them permission.

That would solve about 99.999% of the malware problems and until that is done everything else is just adding additional ineffective security band-aids on top of a whole pile of other, older, ineffective security band-aids.

Furthermore, my experience with those piles of security band-aids is that malware finds a way around them every time, and then those "security" band-aids turn into major impediments for removing the malware. In other words, the security measures don't block the malware, but does block the sys admin efforts.

garrickaking

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
"The only way any OS Windows will ever be even close to secure is if Microsoft quits automatically giving superuser privilege to ALL user accounts by default, and instead make all new installation instances of Windows OS default to having an Admin account with superuser privilege and one or more limited-privilege accounts for the user(s) to do their daily work.

In addition, by default, NO .exe or .dll or other binary program should be executable in the context of any limited-privilege account, meaning that all binary software MUST first be installed from a superuser account for the system to use as a whole. It will also most likely be necessary to prevent even non-binary programs from running in the user-context without explicitly granting them permission.

That would solve about 99.999% of the malware problems and until that is done everything else is just adding additional ineffective security band-aids on top of a whole pile of other, older, ineffective security band-aids."

LMAO ever heard of a domain?

G

That's a good idea. When I used Windows 7, I really liked the Windows 7 Aero theme, it has that awesome glass look.

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
"LMAO ever heard of a domain?"

The OP said "by default". The average computer user has no clue what a domain is, why they should be using one on a single user home computer, and wouldn't even if they understood it. It's not convenient.

That's why he says "by default". In other words, the way a more secure operating system should have been to begin with! Microsoft is particularly bad about circumventing their own security layers with their APIs and programs and marketing them as 'convenience features'.

They took VMS concepts and dumbed them down to the point where they became essentially meaningless. That's not entirely the developer's fault as Microsoft's marketing group called the shots for years instead of good coding practice. Now their code fiefdoms no longer work together for fear of stepping on egos and Windows, along with other Microsoft software, are lagging behind in what could otherwise have been a well performing well designed system. That's from the mouth of a Microsoft Windows developer.

az_fred

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I am using Window's 10 and like it very well. i am using with a non-touch desktop and it is very fast, and so far very few bugs and runs all my software.

Alpha the Mage

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
@garrickaking-You switched to outlook. Good. Call me in 7 days when Microsoft checks your account and is trying to verify it by putting an alternative e-mail address to send you an activation code and put your g-mail for the alternative e-mail. Tell me then if you receive that code. I had a hotmail account for 3 years, they verified it, i supplied the g-mail account but i never got the activation code. After that my outlook account was suspended and my skype account too. I wrote 2 times to Microsoft and they replied that i have provided too few information for e-mail reactivation. How can i remember the safety questions, all my e-mails content and so forth from 3 years ago? So good job Microsoft.
@az_fred-win 10 is win 8.2 only under a different name. True is more appealing than 8.1 but it still shows lack for card reader support. I agree with the quickness of the system but the mail and skype interfaces could use some improvement.

sten_gn

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
When will we get a choice to disable overall metro ?!!
It is sooo counterproductive, uncomfortable, limited functionality, it is a toy for 3 years old.
Did i mentioned less and less configurability with each next release.
Linux has Package Manager (synaptic) which allows to install / uninstall wholesale many apps, no one by one . Why Ms did not copy THAT future (at least for metro apps) ??? I'm pretty sure they could have introduced something similar in Windows.

Another "helpful feature" when installing Win to create local account you have to physically disconnect network cable !!!

Is there official usb installation creator ...

I understand that there are people which like METRO, it would be great if they would understand that they are not alone and not everyone responds well on painfully simplified overlay on system.
In my opinion windows is starting to look a lot like the firmware and not like the operating system ...

garrickaking

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
@alphathemage

There was no secondary email account needed to sign up for Outlook.com, and there are no activation codes. The microsoft account app gets rid of the need for the verification codes. Thats why I like Microsofts 2 step better than Googles. Also I've been using it for almost 2 months now. I'm also a large fan of the one time "App" passwords for things like Outlook. I'm currently using O365/Exchange Online at work, Outlook.com for my personal email, and Outlook 2013 as my client, but honestly, the web interfaces of O365 and even Outlook.com are such a huge improvement over Gmail it's hard to compare. Especially with the great OWA and Outlook.com android apps. Even Google likes it... the new Google "Inbox" is extremely familiar....

Status
Not open for further replies.