Windows 10 To Support USB 3.1 Type-C, Market Has Few Offerings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirKnobsworth

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Uptake of the type c does seem to be a bit slow, doesn't it. I suppose it's not surprising given how long Type A has been around for. Could it be that Apple's willingness to impose new connector standards across all devices is precisely what we need here?

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Devices will only come once hardware is out there. Motherboards will start to feature Type-C but not until their next generation iterations and most likely with the release of next gen CPUs.
I for one will not be bothered with USB 3.1 UNTIL Type-C is out and about.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
I think we'll see more adoption in the typical summer refresh for laptop, followed by boards later on. I'm sure many of us would love to use the new USB type for monitors as a display and power cable :)

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
They should need a adapter like PS/2 to USB and eventually it'll become more common place if it truly is a better design at least with newer devices that will be the case. The real reason why the other USB 3.1 connection will remain more popular probably for a long while if not forever is backward compatibility and lack of adapters.

Just look at MIDI DIN connectors they haven't really changed over the years and it is still preferred over midi USB or in addition to it to music enthusiasts due to backwards compatibility with all their other MIDI equipment.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Heck, there isn't much out there for USB 3.0. Other than USB Flash Drives, external Hard drives and some HD webcams. I think some USB to HDMI converters, as well, but that's mainly it. Everything else functions just fine off USB 2.0: Keyboards/mice, lesser known USB devices, printers, older webcams.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
and i'm not sure if type c will ever pick up steam considering people have used the regular connection for soo long now that people have gain accustom to it. I mean us tech people will love it but the avg consumer doesn't embrace new technology in which makes up the vast majority of consumers out there.

Geofrantine

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
Usb support is necessary thing for windows phone.... More features need, like move files, photos , video etc... File manager has a major role to shape the concept of usb support.

Geofrantine

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
Try to fulfil the video calling option in windows phone 10 update..its a major requirements of windows phone. Take it as a serious attention to improve the needs of the windows phone lovers....

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
It's a bit early to be so impatient for Type C devices and OS support. Doesn't anyone remember how long it took for USB 2.0 to become really well established and how long we had to install add-in cards to PCs? Or how long it took for a good range of USB 3.0 devices to appear at reasonable prices?

All things considered, things are moving along pretty well. Nor am I especially concerned with Win7/8.x support. It'll happen but probably not every last new feature as the level of complexity is likely more than Microsoft wants to invest when they'll be offering free Windows 10 upgrades for a year. Like DX12, anybody who really cares will get the chance to upgrade their OS as cheap as it gets if you have hardware worth the trouble. As with so many innovations, the full realization of USB 3.1 will come on new systems.

cipnrkorvo

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
It's brand new, that's why there are few products, but I think it will take off quickly, because it's such a gigantic advantage on mobile products. It's nice to see Nokia already has a tablet with it. I think all new flagship phones in 2015 will have it.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
This means that it will natively support it? Or it will just come with USB 3.1 drivers and automatically download them from windows update? I know that windows 7 doesn't find USB3 drivers on its own as I always have to manually download them.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
A lot of people aren't understanding to full future potential of USB 3.1 and above. Up until now USB has only been used for data transfer, whether it was the data from a webcam, mouse or keyboard or some other low powered device as well as supplying small amounts of power to devices such as passive external HDDs or Pendrives.
USB 3.1 will change all that... Why? Because as of now so many things you connect need a separate cable to a mains supply. Your monitors, active speakers, amps, etc... Now you just need the one cable to not only supply the data but also the power that makes it work and best of all, these new devices will all use the same connectors which won't matter which way round you try to insert it. USB 3.1 hubs will now act just the same as a multi plug adapter, which ultimately means far less cables everywhere... although you will have to factor this in to your PSU requirements... after all, USB can only supply up to the maximum of what your PSU is pushing through...

owens

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2008
At least Windows 10 will be future proof to some extent, even if USB 3.1 is a bit scarce at the moment. There is no harm in this!

REVERSIBLE:

This is why the type C connector will eventually succeed. Eventually no more guessing at orientation especially when reaching behind a desktop PC and can't see what you are doing.

How many people have done THIS while reaching behind PC?
- nope
- (invert USB connector)
- nope... it's not working?
- pull PC forward.. oh, it was just stiff but I didn't want to FORCE it in case I broke the connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS