Windows 10 too complicated for the casual/average user?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Has Windows 10 become way too fiddly and complicated to use for the casual user? I mean, even things we use to do in a very simple, direct way in Windows 7 like limiting the updates, or disabling Windows Defender have become way too complex.

You don't just tick or untick a box in some sub-menu in control panel, you have to run the command 'gpedit.msc' and then you have to know your way in there in order to do things that used to be simple before.

I recognize that Win10 has improved in a lot of ways, like the drivers update/compatibility, but hasn't it become way too complex for someone used to Windows 7(still the majority of MS OS users)?

Solution

I just installed it on one of my Win 10 boxes, and it runs just fine.

USAFRet

Titan
It is no more complicated than win 8.1, Win 7, Win Vista/XP/2000/98SE/95/3.1.

What, specifically, do you find 'complicated'?

Updates and drivers?
Updates are automatic for a reason. We can go into the reasoning for that if you wish.

Driver updates? Easily turned off via Control Panel, System.
The same place it has been for years. No group policy editing needed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows defender is easy to disable, Install new AV, WD will auto disable itself. It won't stay off if you have no Anti virus or firewall as its not doing its job then. Running without AV or firewall is suicidal

home doesn't let you disable updates as its Microsoft's was of ensuring everyone is up to date.

its not complex, its dumbed down. much easier for regular people to navigate the settings menu compared to having to know where to go to uninstall a program. The fact all the old ways still exist might lead to complexity accusations but that is for compatibility with older programs that wouldn't work without the old ways being there. Windows has always had about 9 different ways to do everything.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
By reading all of your responses and actually thinking about it, you're right! MS has at least been trying to simplify its OS's since Windows 8. Make them more 'automatic' so the user would have less and less to do in order to make it work.

But in Windows 10's case I still have at least one program(HWMonitor) and one hardware(gamepad) which don't work but DO work in Windows 8.1 and 7.
There are still some compatibility issues to be resolved in Win 10, but then I guess that's more a matter of time than anything else.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

That's the one, it gives me a BSOD when I try to run it.

USAFRet

Titan

I just installed it on one of my Win 10 boxes, and it runs just fine.

Solution
I don't find Windows 10 more complicated, it just has enough changes to the user interface that it takes a little time to figure out. E.g. to get to the Control Panel, you have to right-click the Start button, etc. etc. I wish they'd stop that kind of foolishness, but they've made similar changes in every version, so we just have to get used to it. After a couple of weeks, it's no more difficult that earlier versions. However there's always Classic Shell and the likes for those who are hard to convince.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Necropost, but yes it is. Windows in general is. Plus it's incredibly easy to break it. I mean, look at OSX, there's usually clearly labelled menu option that does what you're after. If you have a problem booting, it's a four button combination which will fix it, or go to recovery menu which is clearly laid out. Majority won't ever need Terminal to do specific things (and there's no registry, so no registry editing). Whereas some things, can only be done through command prompt or registry edits in Windows. That's just me, could be wrong

PDN

Honorable
Apr 17, 2019
Windows has its + and - like any OS and progress is just that. However, I am directing this to myself and the average user.
My issue is not with the OS but with the Windows machine itself ex the firmware settings.
This secure boot, csm, legacy or lack of it, and the many settings one has to set to work properly is way too complicated for the average person.
Trying to figure keys to press to boot off a stick whether UEFI or not is hard if you are not schooled.
Young engineers are creating features on their level so the general public cannot understand.
I have a z390 Asus board which is harder to learn than ancient Greek.
The manual is of no use and b/c each pc has its own board, others cannot help.
Years from now, due to complexity, the emphasis will be user friendliness. To use the tv you do not have to learn its intricacies, you just "turn it on".