Windows 10 turns on and shuts off ethernet

DovahTube

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
So I've had windows 10 for about 4 or 5 days. Now out of nowhere my ethernet just stopped working but its plugged in. I go to troubleshoot and it says that the wire is unplugged or damaged. I tried using it on my laptop and its working fine. I've tried uninstalling and updating the drivers, starting in safe mode, powering down and waiting 30 mins. NOTHING IS WORKING. PLEASE HELP ME

P.S.
The ethernet indicator keeps cycling between on, off, and the warning symbol

I would still try a new cable. Sometime a cable is partially damaged and is good enough for some devices but not for others. If your computer has any of the power saver/green feature turn it off since that has trouble with a poor cable.

Other than that all you can do is try to see if there is a newer driver from the vendor of your motherboard. That indicator is very simplistic it is checking to see if it sees power from the remote device. It is almost always a hardware issue....and if it not the cable then it is the port which is a really bad thing to have.

DovahTube

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015

I will try to use my ethernet cable on a different device just to see if it is the cable that is damaged. There is no way that its the port on the motherboard because its a brand new mother board. Plus, when I plug in the ethernet, a LED lights up indicating that it is plugged in