[SOLVED] Windows 10 UEFI problem

Jul 15, 2020
Hi.

I have a Asus ROG Strix Scar III gaming laptop . I upgraded today my SSD from 512gb to 1tb and my SSHD from 1tb to 2tb .

Problem that i have is that now im stuck at the Asus RoG logo when i turn on my laptop and i cant get into BIOS it just sits there.

When i swaped back my old SSD with the windows 10 install on it . It turned on normally and went into windows .

So what to do to get the damn thing to work with my new drives and so that i can install windows on my new SSD ?

Solution
i wish there weren't so many languages available in the manual listing, its almost too long to bother looking - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/G731GT/0409_E15549_G731GW_GV_GU_GT_V2_A.pdf

and especially once you do find manual, its not overly helpful. I was hoping for more than 5 pages. But then it is a laptop.
Escape or F2 should get you into bios normally

not being able to get into bios isn't overly helpful. I mean, we can get in from the old ssd, just not new. So it would help to at least look. One way to get in from the ssd is go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now key
PC will load into a Blue menu at startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI Firmware...

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wish there weren't so many languages available in the manual listing, its almost too long to bother looking - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/G731GT/0409_E15549_G731GW_GV_GU_GT_V2_A.pdf

and especially once you do find manual, its not overly helpful. I was hoping for more than 5 pages. But then it is a laptop.
Escape or F2 should get you into bios normally

not being able to get into bios isn't overly helpful. I mean, we can get in from the old ssd, just not new. So it would help to at least look. One way to get in from the ssd is go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now key
PC will load into a Blue menu at startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI Firmware interface
PC should restart in BIOS

helps to have USB drive in PC while doing this

Have a look in the advanced menus.
On the Boot menu, disable fast Boot and save changes.
on entering BIOS again, need to go to boot tab and add USB drive as 1st in boot order, normal drive as 2nd (at least for now anyway)
Now I am guessing that in Boot menu there might be a choice called CSM. In it might be Secure Boot, if its on I would turn it off as you can't boot off USB otherwise

Once Fast boot disabled you should try swapping drives and see if you can get into UEFI at startup and put the new ssd in

When installing win 10, only have 1 drive attached. Win 10 can and sometimes will put its boot partition on another drive and that is a pain if the 2nd drive is replaced or removed, and then win 10 won't boot. Only having 1 drive in during install removes that possibility.

Reactions: chodda101
Solution
Jul 15, 2020
Thanks for the reply.

I disabled secure boot and fast boot and was able to even flash the laptops bios to the latest version. With the old SSD installed that is. AS there i can get into BIOS as said.

Now im having the issue of specifying the UEFI boot path of the USB . As the BIOS does not see the USB in the BOOT menu only the SSD with its boot partition.

I have formated the USB in rufus under Partitions for BIOS or UEFI and NTSF file system and used the ISO image of windows 10...

Jul 15, 2020
Well I managed to boot from USB into windows install under old SSD but when i swap the SSDs to the new one it just wont boot and its stuck at RoG logo as before . Uff.... Dunno if i should delete the boot partition from the old SSD before removing it ? Im kinda out of ideas what to do now.

Jul 15, 2020
Hmm I removed the new SSD and left only the SSHD in my laptop and it booted from the USB key . Now im wondering if the Western Digital SN550 1 TB NVMe drive is compatible with this laptop