Windows 10 - Unmountable_Boot_Volume = How to recover

NooBFrank

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
While upgrading to Windows 10 my buddies laptop got caught in an update problem.

Now it BSOD with Unmountable_Boot_Volume error.
It tries for hours to auto repair - and fails.

So I am ready to punt and reinstall Windows. (BTW - Windows tech chat tells me that the Nov update was huge and they implied that it messed up a few more PC's than just this one)

Okay - but the problem now is that the partition table on the laptop is messed up. I boot into Linux and try to mount and it fails. I go into gparted and it says it has messed up GPT table.

ry%3D480

So using the Hiren's boot CD - I can see the boot table etc. But how do I fix or update the table?

ry%3D480

Based on what I see - it looks like it is all there. I click F2 and save it - reboot into Linux and get the same lockout.

I am open here. I have a handful of Linux distros and thumb drives and am willing to try almost any LOW RISK idea you've got.

Thanks in advance for your help!
WAN

Unmountable boot Volume usually can be fixed with just a Check Disk. If you have any XP, Vista, Win7, 8 ,8.1, 10 install disk, boot form the disk, select Repair Windows, and then at the command prompt you have to find what drive letters are your drives so I would just do like

C: Hit enter
Dir Hit enter

and then so on for D E F Etc and then when you find the drive that has like Program Files, Windows, users folders you want to do a

Chkdsk x: /F where x is the drive letter.

I don't think linux disk have windows chkdsk on them. If you don't have the disk you can download them from MS or if you have working Vista+ machine you can make a rescue disk and boot off of that.

NooBFrank

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks drtweak.
Chkdsk didn't find any problems or errors. No bad sectors - nothing.

ry%3D480

I just need to recover some pictures and data off of the drive and then I can wipe it. Is there any way to write some sort of partition table to it that can make that happen? Of course - that would probably solve the problem with Win10 too!

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

NooBFrank

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry - I checked every drive from a to z now.

I think the drive I am looking for is d:
ry%3D480

And it looks corrupted. I guess I was hoping for an easy to use utility that rebuilds the MBR or UEFI or whatever it is called today. Or maybe a Linux tool that doesn't even care if the table is right but lets me copy and paste the files I am looking for to an external drive?

bahooo

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
If u do it, probably u have to format the drive so I will lost ur files. In this time, u have to use any recovery application before format or change the drive type. Otherwise u can use CONVERT X: /fs:ntfs command. Try it will see if it works.

NooBFrank

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Well - thanks everyone for trying. I was on a chat with Microsoft Tech Support last night explaining the entire crusade.
Short version = working windows 7 laptop turns into a simple glowing screen that does nothing and eventually fails with Unmountable_Boot error simply by trying to upgrade to the FREE Windows 10...

Anyway - Tech support tells me no worries. Install Win 10 with the NEW install tool and all of your files will be in the magical windows.old file. I even quizzically ask: Are you sure that will happen even if the partition is not recognizable at this point? Sure - no problem, she replies...

Okay - so WRONG... I now have Win 10 on the laptop and all of the old data is NOT there and there is NO windows.old folder at all.

Bright side ? = I am hoping now at this point that simple recovery tools will be able to restore some/most of the data now that the hard drive has a recognizable boot table. I plan to use an external drive / usb cable to view the drive on my working PC and try to recover files without writing to the troubled drive etc. Any tips - feel free to post. I won't have time to do all that for a few days but I will post back the results for the learning.

Thanks,
Frank

If you have over written and installed windows on that drive and partition good luck. you may not be able to get it all back. And it was most likely the D: Drive and you should have tired to run a chkdsk on it as it could have fixed the issue to begin with.