Windows 10 Update Slowing My PC (February 2016)

Brodie Lawrence

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Up until February, windows 10 has been running very smoothly and I have had no problems at all, but that changed a few day ago.

At the beginning of this month, I received an update for windows 10 (I have been running windows 10 since its release) and this wasn't a normal kind of update. It brought up the black screen with the % in the circle as if I was installing windows for the first time (I found this pretty weird but it may not be relevant)

After the update, many programs and games are not working anymore along with some becoming quite slow. None of my Nvidia programs will start up as I get a black window until it stops responding, my Razer keyboard is no longer recognized in synapse (I've tried various methods to fix this but still nothing), games take far too long to start up (I get a black screen for 30 seconds before it starts and some games such as dying light freeze on me), my PC takes longer to shut down that starting up (much longer than it used to before and I'm using an SSD) and among other things many programs aren't working they should have. All of this begun after the update.

I've tried looking up the exact update this was, but the update history cleared itself after updating so I can't get much info (I can't even find much for february 2016 win 10 update).

My specs are:
CPU: amd fx 8350
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
RAM: 8gb
SSD: Samsung 250gb
HDD: 1TB (can't remember the make)

If anyone else has received this update or has any suggestions on how to deal with this any help is appreciated, thanks :)

P.S I realize that some of the issues I am having may be to do with the actual programs themselves but since these problems only begun after the OS update I can't help but believe these issues are somewhat attributed to this update.

Solution
WinUpd has a tendency to change settings to what they want.

Also see that you have Nvidia:

Nvidia does not play well with Win 10.

Get the latest drivers from Nvidia, if that doesn't work, reinstall the driver you had before on whatever OS you had.

If that still doesn't fix it, go to Nvidia and start going backwards down the revision list and try each one until you find one that works.

Which ever one you finally find that works, do a clean install of it.

Some say the Geforce Experience app works OK.

Also make sure that you have disabled the setting for Win 10 to update drivers.

Recheck all your drivers.

If all else fails, you may be in for a reinstall.

Bill

Brodie Lawrence

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

I've just tried uninstalling the updates from the day it all went bad (I managed to find them) but I'm still having the same issues as before :/

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
WinUpd has a tendency to change settings to what they want.

Also see that you have Nvidia:

Nvidia does not play well with Win 10.

Get the latest drivers from Nvidia, if that doesn't work, reinstall the driver you had before on whatever OS you had.

If that still doesn't fix it, go to Nvidia and start going backwards down the revision list and try each one until you find one that works.

Which ever one you finally find that works, do a clean install of it.

Some say the Geforce Experience app works OK.

Also make sure that you have disabled the setting for Win 10 to update drivers.

Recheck all your drivers.

If all else fails, you may be in for a reinstall.

Bill

Solution