Windows 10 Update with Hard Drive

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
I am planning on upgrading to Windows 10 July 29th. With that being said, I am wondering what happens to the data on my hard drive. I specifically have about 45 GB of video I need to save and some pictures. I rest I can download from the internet. When I update, how will I save this data? Does it just stay automatically?

Also, I ordered a 120 GB Samsung 850 Evo that I plan to use as my primary drive for Windows and some programs. Is there an easy way I can just have the hard drive keep it's data but remove Windows and all programs expect videos and pictures?

Please help me, thanks for reading.

Solution
As mcnumpty23 said, if you perform an upgrade installation, all compatible programs and all personal data should be left intact. If you perform a clean installation, expect that all, or at least most, should be erased.

Either way, you should always have a backup of anything you consider important, as there is always the possibility for something to go wrong.
As mcnumpty23 said, if you perform an upgrade installation, all compatible programs and all personal data should be left intact. If you perform a clean installation, expect that all, or at least most, should be erased.

Either way, you should always have a backup of anything you consider important, as there is always the possibility for something to go wrong.

Solution

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

So if I wanted Windows 10 on my SSD, how would I go about doing that while keeping my data?

If your data is on your HDD, your best bet is to get an ISO of Windows 10, make a disc or bootable flash drive, temporarily disconnect the HDD to prevent any accidental deletion of data during install, set the SSD as your primary drive, and perform a clean install. Frankly, upgrade installations are not even recommended by Microsoft and should be avoided in all cases except those where they are absolutely necessary. After the installation of Windows 10 onto your SSD, you can reattach your HDD, but do pay attention to how BIOS has your boot order configured, so you don't boot to the HDD instead of your new installation on the SSD.

I can't tell you how or where to get installation media for Windows 10 as it's not released yet and I have not participated in any of the trials concerning it. After July 29, I'm sure the answers and instructions will be much clearer. :) Until then, it doesn't much matter, as we don't have the software or license for it yet.

SirGetch

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013

Many thanks, that's what I thought! So I would I need to uninstall Windows 8.1 (my current OS) from the HDD? Would I need to remove programs on it, that I wanted on the SSD? How would I go about uninstalling Windows 8.1 from it?