Question Windows 10 upgrade Fails Repeatedly

rsteinmetz70112

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I have a computer running Windows 7 I have tried several times to upgrade it to Windows 10 but it fails often with different errors.

I've tried using the media creation tool and using a DVD I made from an iso I downloaded. I have used the same DVD to upgrade other computers.

I just tried again from my DVD and it failed after about 2% with an error message:
"Windows 10 installation failed'

I also tried using the Media Creation tool to download an iso. That failed with:

There was a problem running this tool
We're not sure what happened but we're unable to run this tool on your PC. If you continue experiencing problems, reference the erroro code whne contacting customer support. Error Code: 0x1800103 - 0x90002

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a hardware problem. The Motherboard is a Asrock N86C-GS4-FX with and AMD FX 8320E and 8 GB of RAM. I have a few other machines with the same processor and motherboard that upgraded just fine.

rsteinmetz70112

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I have a hunch. Can you delete the folder C:\$Windows.~bt (it's a hidden folder though)? Some people reported that this was a fix.
I tried that didn't work.
I ran checkdsk .f on the hard drive.
I tried using a DVD I burned
I tried using the Software Download Tool
That seemed to go pretty well. It got to the Modern Setup and began the installation.
The installation stopped at 26% with and error that
"Modern Setup has stopped working."
Googling around I found a suhhestion to delete everything in:
C:\WINDOWS SOftware Distribution\Download
Then run:
wuauclt.exe /updatenow
and restart. Trying that now.