Question Windows 10 version 1511 update to version 2004

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
I've heard from many people that you can't update windows directly from 1511 to 1903 let alone the newest 2004. Right now im currently getting my updates ready with my windows 10 update assistance app and it said that my laptop is compatible with the newest 2004 version, and that its downloading the needed files for the update.

my question is, is it possible to do the said update? from 1511 to 2004 using windows 10 update assistance app for windows? many people said u have to update to a certain version first (i.e version 1700s or 1800s) to update instantly to 2004, whereas im still rocking the 1511. but the windows update assistance app said that its possible to do so, but does it have drawbacks?

sorry for my poor english and ignorance. I beg for your reply.

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Do NOT hide the Microsoft drivers. Microsoft supplies drivers for EVERYTHING, IF it thinks it knows a better driver. Sometimes (Rarely) it might be better. Often (Usually) it is not better than whatever was the latest driver supplied by the manufacturer of the hardware component. Microsoft can natively supply it's own universal/generic drivers for practically everything, so not showing them might well leave out whatever is causing the problem.
I was just doing what Colif suggested me

Colif

Win 11 Master
I told him to hide Microsoft drivers in driver view as it means the list only shows 3rd party drivers.

I was hoping the print out would look something like
W26SRyM.jpg

as I would have more to work from than what he gave me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, I looked at what you gave me and its just driver names, I would need the driver version column as well to see which ones you actually have as to figure out what ones are old. I can't tell from just their names.

I am not really here this month.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Can you list your hardware? CPU, GPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU.

Over the years, Windows 10 HAS "inflated" significantly. Not noticeably on mid/high range hardware, but low end or much older systems do tend to struggle with the later itterations of Windows 10. Especially jumping from 1511 to 2004 at once might certainly be VERY noticeable. This is something I have noticed on several low end computers already...

Finding proper drivers should still be a priority though.

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Can you list your hardware? CPU, GPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU.

Over the years, Windows 10 HAS "inflated" significantly. Not noticeably on mid/high range hardware, but low end or much older systems do tend to struggle with the later itterations of Windows 10. Especially jumping from 1511 to 2004 at once might certainly be VERY noticeable. This is something I have noticed on several low end computers already...

Finding proper drivers should still be a priority though.
Based on the benchmark results I told u about csgo, it's obviously a super low end. I'm on a HP laptop rocking these specs:

• i3 6006u @2.0GHz 2C/4T
  • Intel Integrated HD Graphics 520
  • 8GB DDR4 2x4 2133MHz RAM
  • 500GB HITACHI 5400RPM HDD

I don't plan to run games heavier than cs, since that's just pushing it way too far. But before the update to 2004, I could've sworn the fps was drastically better in version 1511, like around 40 if not 50% better.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
Yeah, that most likely explains a good part (if not all) the slowdown you experienced when jumping from 1511 to 2004. Your RAM would still be fine, but your 2-core CPU capped at 2Ghz is definitely struggling here.

However, I don't know if you did that already, but because it's a laptop, opening it to remove any dust that might have accumulated inside might help as it is possible that if overheating, the computer may be throttling which would also reduce its performance.

For the drivers, if HP does not offer newer drivers for this laptop, there might not be so much that can be done with that.

You might just have to accept that your laptop is just not fit for the most recent iteration of Windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That would be unfair really, CPU is from 2016, its not that old. I realise I3 are the low end (or were, the new ones have more threads than my previous I5 did) but there are PC from 10+ years ago that can run WIn 10 with less ram. Sure, not well but they can do it.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...ore-i3-6006u-processor-3m-cache-2-00-ghz.html

scary Intel were still selling dual cores with hyperthreading in 2016.

GrandSACHI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
To be fair though, I'm sure this computer is still fine for basic computing such as web browsing and office work, but for gaming... especially using the iGPU, I'm not surprise at all that the OP sees a noticeable drop in FPS just by updating from 1511 to 2004.