Question Windows 10 will not shutdown from the Start Menu ?

enfield250

Honorable
Nov 9, 2018
System specs:
Gigabyte A320M-S2H motherboard
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G CPU
8Gb of Corsair Ram
1 Tb SSD
2 Tb HHD
2 x DVD writers
Ver: 22H2
Build: 19045.2546

The problem is my PC will not shut down from the shutdown option on the start menu, it just restarts.
I was advised to do a Clean Install of Win10 Home which I have done.
I have disabled Boot options 2 & 3 in the bios, so it should only boot from the SSD.
However, if I try and shut it down from the Start menu button, the screen shows "shutting down", all lights go off, then it restarts and both DVD drives run and the HHD as well as the SSD.
It also restarts during the day, if left quiet for a while, again both DVDs, HHD and SSD run.

Any ideas would be helpful, I thought only having the SSD enabled in bios would solve the issue but no.
Cheers,
Colin

Lutfij

Titan
I was advised to do a Clean Install of Win10 Home which I have Done.
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

Gigabyte A320M-S2H
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

You forgot to mention the make and model of your SSD's and the PSU. How old is the PSU in your build? Please include them.

System specs:
Gigabyte A320M-S2H motherboard
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G CPU
8Gb of Corsair Ram
1 Tb SSD
2 Tb HHD
2 x DVD writers
Ver: 22H2
Build: 19045.2546

The problem is my PC will not shut down from the shutdown option on the start menu, it just restarts.
I was advised to do a Clean Install of Win10 Home which I have done.
I have disabled Boot options 2 & 3 in the bios, so it should only boot from the SSD.
However, if I try and shut it down from the Start menu button, the screen shows "shutting down", all lights go off, then it restarts and both DVD drives run and the HHD as well as the SSD.
It also restarts during the day, if left quiet for a while, again both DVDs, HHD and SSD run.

Any ideas would be helpful, I thought only having the SSD enabled in bios would solve the issue but no.
Cheers,
Colin
Make it smaller.

Unplug the disc units.....test.
Unplug the hdd.....test.

google "how to enable verbose status messages"
make the registry setting then attempt the shutdown. Windows should say what it is waiting for.

media players that stream media can block windows shutdown.
windows will refuse to shutdown if it thinks it will loose some data.
This happens with some remote servers that do not confirm writes.
it can happen with certain firmware bugs in drives. ie drive is set to lazy write but does not tell windows that the write has been completed.

there are other things that can cause this but it is best to see what windows thinks the problem is.

you might run cmd.exe as an admin then run
powercfg.exe /energy
and look at the report.