Windows 10 Will Ship With DirectX 12

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012

And Windows 8 came out the other end.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
LOL, who on earth does Microsoft think they're fooling by skipping Windows 9 and going straight for Windows 10? What's up with that? Have they offered any serious explanation for that? Why not just call it Windows 20 then?

ZeusGamer

Admirable

One of their reasoning is because of the naming of the legacy Windows.

You can search Windows 9* just by googling Windows 9.

I think they want to avoid that conflict and just went straight to Windows 10.

ZeusGamer

Admirable

One of their reasoning is because of the naming of the legacy Windows.

You can search Windows 9* just by googling Windows 9.

I think they want to avoid that conflict and just went straight to Windows 10.

No, DX12 will be in Windows 10.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Eh, I'm not sure why anyone really even cares.

Most developers don't even utilize DX11 to it's potential let alone code for it. Nearly every game that has come out lately still uses DX9. Right now there's roughly just over 100 games that use DX11.

No one will take advantage of DX12 for probably another 3-5 years, and that's if it's more efficient than DX11.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I've been using Windows 10 for nearly a week now (since day of tp launch), and so far, it feels good to use. Feels a lot like Windows 8.1 with Start8 installed, plus some extra features to sweeten the deal.

For those of you wondering if Microsoft will listen to their customers, I'll share a little bit of knowledge from the technical preview.

The technical preview has an app that is pre-installed where you can directly send feedback to the developers about features suggestions and changes. Furthermore, each of the larger interface changes prompt you to say how you feel about the changes, and then ask if you can think of any way to improve them.

It's clear that Microsoft learned it's mistake with Windows 8 (not so much the operating system itself, but rather at how not listening to customer feedback can kill sales), and they're trying extremely hard to make sure that Windows 10 doesn't suffer the same issue.

That being said, DirectX12 gentlemen.

Zentropa

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
Right because DX11 is flawless and lacks a reason to work any lingering kinks out. I kind of like that marketing ploy, "If you barf out a senseless half-supported buggy software release that requires more work to maintain the guise of 'satisfactory,' why not roll out a new version to deflect attention away from it?"

I'd also like to make six figures making decisions like that. And a pony.

lookanlearn

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Well; somebody thieved my Windows 7 CHESS Game when I PAID EXTRA to `Upgrade` to Windows 8 and 8.1

I really dont like thieves.

Not all the time-sucking BSoD`s on various PC that were upgraded.

That said; no BSoD`s for three months now....
Windows 8 with the free Shell program turned out to be tollerable.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
It's so much easier for someone to complain then for someone to give a compliment. Stop nit-picking over the negatives and take a serious look at all the positive benefits of the thing you're critiquing. Especially before you use it.

I think DirectX12 will be good. I think Windows 10 is good. I think Microsoft releasing DirectX12 only on Windows 10, would be fine.

It's a business. All businesses are in the business of making money. Just because you've gotten used to them upgrading their older operating systems to support new tech, doesn't mean they're obligated to do so.

It's NICE. And they may STILL do it, but the sense of entitlement that people feel towards getting EVERYTHING they want on their old operating systems is silly. And for that matter, getting everything they want in general.

The only issue is the points people made above about game developers not wanting to support it if it's a niche.

We have to roll with the punches of progress people.

lookanlearn

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

If I PAY Extra, I actually want More.

That may seem silly to Microsoft employees and shareholders; but not to hundreds of millions of other people.

P.S.
LinuxMint 17 x64 is FREE and has as much as MS has to offer; and it has five years support... and a ton of free programs to go with it.
Business need to understand that when they have BSoD stiffed their loyal customers for decades, they eventually get some blowback; soI dont expect MS will have a roaring success with DX12 or anything else mentioned because;-
(a) DX12 does nothing for most Office applications the VAST Majority of computers are used for.
(b) Gamers already own millions of DX 11 Graphics cards and are unlikely to gamble on Microsoft early anymore (even if the GTX 970~980 cards are pretty good).
(c) Steambox and the rest.

I was amused how Microsoft ignored my Windows 8 Beta comments which came true; comments I provided MS in feedback months before the Market version was released. How they missed out on the opportunities of my suggestions though...
...............................and now online you can find MS begging for `customer `Ideas` ~suggestions` concepts.... Like carpetbaggers.

In fact Microsoft are now where I said they would be at during a 1999 paper I submitted as a Student of Business while at Uni.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
really Linux Ubuntu / Linux Fedora would have beaten Mircosoft into the ground if almost everything also supported it but as almost everything supports Windows first then ports to Mac and/or Linux Ubuntu and/or Linux Fedora Windows has the big lead. On paper Linux beats Windows in specs, in useableity, in general use, and in server side programming but to the general consumer as most if not all the computers in the retail store are going to be windows 8.1 atm and the time of March 2015 it will be windows 10 everything is windows based especially games as most games run better with DirectX than on OpenGL and Mattle really will require the programmer to make their own shaders from the ground up instead of useing API calls to make custom shaders to this when the programmers make custom shaders it costs more and puts a bigger risk into the game as it is a " non-standard shader " so security patches for it will have to come directly from the programmer(s) who made it and that is even more overhead onto them.
DirectX12 will most likely be used in games soon after Windows 10 is out becuase of UE4 natively supporting it and the preformance increases it says will be there but at the same time a DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 version will most likely be in the same package alike to the Civilization 5 game where it allows you to choose between DirectX 9 and DirectX 11 in which the software detects if you can do DirectX 11 so you do not crash.
to the guy above who said "OpenGL and Mattle will stump out DirectX" while OpenGL has been around for almost 20 years and DirectX is still going strong with both OpenGL and DirectX support on every video card on the market which i can see ... maybe not Tesla and AMD compute cards ( if AMD has a compute card ) but all the others do have it and DirectX is running supreme so far but also does OpenGL have a market for the indie devs, Linux makers, and open source programmers while DirectX explicitly says it can NOT be an open source program when using DirectX.
Windows 10 and DirectX 12 will take the new computer buyers by storm but that is only becuase they do not want a mac or even know that their stuff can run on a mac and/or on Linux while using WINE.

lookanlearn

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Most of your points I drew to the attention of the Linux forums last year; and suggested just 3 simple options for Linux to go with (develop 3 main software options) via a marketing strategy I proposed to increase its international visibility and ease of use to the three main markets.

But they think Linux should keep with 500? versions of similar and different complex-to-understand versions of the software they are all still evolving; as it seems they still prefer to confuse and bamboozle the Linux noob.

No worries.
Windows 10 will appeal to the young masses, if it works properly (stifles chortle).
But long-term PC users will still mistrust it for a year or two.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
Thus why i suggested the 2 MAIN VERSIONS of Linux while most of the others are just derivetives of them and not whole entire new versions while i do releize that yes there are only 2 Linux kernals atm these 2 flavors of Linux or just picking Ubuntu like Steam did and had game devs dev for it which makes sense as Ubuntu is more user freindly ... some how i personily prefer fedora but whatever
and making for only 2 flavors which are very simular to each other will be easier than trying to make it for those 500+ versions that that person / group tried to make it out to be and i do agree that person was trying to confuse the Linux noob as i was and probably still am a Linux noob though Google helps alot with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.