Windows 10 Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
Windows 10 Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected. I'm making a secondary backup pc, however when To went to install windows 10 on a used HDD it gives me this error. load driver: a media driver your computer needs is missing. I cant reset the PC because it says "Unable to reset your PC. A Required Drive Partition Is Missing." The used HDD im using is a WD Blue 640GB Running IDE through the BIOS. I need help to install windows on this PC.

Specs:
Corsair VS650
MSI 660Ti
Intel Pentium 3.2Ghz
8GB Corsair Ram LP
ASUS H81I-Plus

Solution
Hey there, LightningsalesUK!

I'd strongly recommend you to test your hard drive using WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. Running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests will help us determine the health and SMART status of your WD Blue drive. CheckDisk potentially can do more harm than good if there is some sort of physical damage on your HDD.
I'd also suggest you backup your files from it as soon as you can access it. You should try removing the write protection by clearing the read-only attributes in DiskPart.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted!
SuperSoph_WD :)
Hey there, LightningsalesUK!

I'd strongly recommend you to test your hard drive using WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. Running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests will help us determine the health and SMART status of your WD Blue drive. CheckDisk potentially can do more harm than good if there is some sort of physical damage on your HDD.
I'd also suggest you backup your files from it as soon as you can access it. You should try removing the write protection by clearing the read-only attributes in DiskPart.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted!
SuperSoph_WD :)

Solution

LightningsalesUK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I decided to install windows 7 Via USB and delete all partitions, activate windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10, A little longer but much easier.