[SOLVED] Windows 10 won't boot at first attempt, boots after restart or automatic repair

Nov 27, 2020
Hello there.

I have got annoying issue with my new computer. It is like three weeks old and something is happening and I cant find what causes it. Problem is that after turning on computer BIOS runs fine, passes POST, I hear standard beep from speaker and see under logo of my TUF MOBO these rotating dots, after while they are gone and Im left with blank screen. No mouse coursor. Keyboard and mouse are not responding and their LED's backlight are turn off (but they were on during BIOS boot and POST, I can use them to access BIOS. If I power PC down by holding power button and turn on again usually at the second attempt same happens, on third Windows automatic repair happens and I usually use repair during startup or just go to Windows through that button in menu. And it works fine. No other issues, OS is fully operational and stable, games are working fine. Just this one, booting issue that annoys me a lot. I can boot into safe mode without problem too (by automatic repair menu). It didn't happen from the beginning but Im not sure when it started (like what I installed). I want to mention that I used W10Privacy on first installment of the OS.

What I have tried:
  • memory test by Windows tool
  • Memtest86
  • sfc verify
  • dism healthscan
  • uninstalling GPU drivers with DDU and installing them once more
  • updating GPU drivers after Windows 10 installed me older version.

None of these tools have found any problems. In act of despair I tried to make a clean installation of Windows but I see that it still happens but in some weird scenario - I tried to turn off and turn on a few times and what I observed is that when I have fast boot enabled then it boots fine, but when I turn off fast boot, then it occurs. But Im not sure if it will not start happening on fast boot too, so i want to deal with this once and for all.

My specification is:
  • Ryuzen 5 5600X
  • Asus TUF B550
  • Palit Jetstream RTX 2070 SUPER
  • 32GB Corsair Venegance LPX 3200 MHz (overclocked to 3600 - should I lower it or increase latency as I have CL16 if I remember correctly?)
  • PSU SilentiumPC 750W
  • AiO CPU cooling SilentiumPC Navis 240
  • Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB
  • Windows 10
Also I have Crucial MX500 500GB SSD which I currently disconnected as I dont want to lose important data on it. I want to plug it when I will be sure that PC works fine. All parts except for RAM and GPU are brand new. GPU was bought one year ago and used in old PC. RAM was bought from shop with used parts but Im almost 99% sure they are new, as this shop doesnt distinguish used and new parts when they buy them from people and in this case they were very likely new.

If someone have even slightest idea what could help in this case I will be most grateful.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
try running ram at 3200 until he figure out cause
Have you tried turning fast startup off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html - you don't need it on with an nvme and if problem is a driver, it may remove need for a restart.

its a work around really.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters are nasty)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot...

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running ram at 3200 until he figure out cause
Have you tried turning fast startup off - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html - you don't need it on with an nvme and if problem is a driver, it may remove need for a restart.

its a work around really.

Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters are nasty)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

PSU SilentiumPC 750W
never heard of them. what is exact model?

Solution