Windows 10 won't boot up after CPU upgrade

brenbglenn

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
So I recently upgraded my bios on my motherboard (Intel DQ35JO) to the latest version that was available through Intel's website. I did this in order to upgrade my old processor (Intel Core 2 Duo E8400) to an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550. The installation of the processor went smoothly, but when I went to boot up my PC, it would never get past the initial screen with the blue windows 10 logo, in the center, hovering over a black screen. How do I get my PC to boot up fully, to where I can actually use it?

Solution

I'm saying that the line between OEM and Retail is somewhat blurred now.
If you have a system with a preinstalled OEM Win 10...for instance from Dell/HP/Toshiba...that license is not transferable.

If you obtained and installed Win 10 via your own purchase, or if it was Upgraded from some previous Win 7 or 8 (OEM or not), that license can be transferred to new hardware.
The...

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
chances are your os is an oem version. How did you get the windows 10? via the free upgrade last year? that will net you an oem version which is bundled with your cpu/mobo combination that was in use when you upgraded. the upgrade put a microcode or other bs onto mobo, thus you will need to buy a new os every time you upgrade cpu or motherboard to stay legit. (or in this case even to boot up). what you can do right now is reinstall windows. then pray under system property is says windows is activated and not something like you need to buy in 30 days.

brenbglenn

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if it is a oem or not, it doesn't matter, it should complain about license after it loads and ask you to activate via phone again, after it boots, i don't think that is the problem

perhaps the partitoon and the vinstall are having problems that became more aparent now that the cpu has been changed so a new install or a reinstall should help alot but the backups first are a must

MERGED QUESTION
Question from brenbglenn : "Windows 10 won't boot up after CPU upgrade"

USAFRet

Titan

OEM or not has nothing to do with the actual operation...whether it boots or not. Especially with Win 10.
This is a whole different issue.

that will net you an oem version which is bundled with your cpu/mobo combination that was in use when you upgraded. the upgrade put a microcode or other bs onto mobo, thus you will need to buy a new os every time you upgrade cpu or motherboard to stay legit.
And this is absolutely incorrect.
After the Anniversary release last August, you can absolutely move a Win 10 license to different hardware.
The only case where this does not work is with a Win 10 OEM license that was preinstalled by the manufacturer.
Any of the Upgraded Win 10s will absolutely transfer to new hardware.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i wouldn't switch back to another cpu to do backups, any recovery livecd or liveusb that allows you to boot the pc from it will let you see the ocntents of the hard disk and copy them easily, linux or windows based

most people just download a ubuntu iso, make a usb stick with the iso and boot the pc form it, it will let you open a file explorer, copy things and later if the ahci option doesn't help

Darthutos

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
usa fret
are you saying the oem version from the manufacturer are different from the oem version when we free upgrade? or are you saying free upgrades are retail versions?
what if our cpu or motherboard broke and we have to reinstall from scratch where anniversary update is irrelevant? or are you saying the microcode is updated when we get win 10 anniversary?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if the bios for some reason changed a setting there, it affects the way the mainboard reads information form the hard disk and could possibly cause the issue

it is worth to try, if not, make a new windows 10 installation usb stick but after you have backed up your information

USAFRet

Titan

I'm saying that the line between OEM and Retail is somewhat blurred now.
If you have a system with a preinstalled OEM Win 10...for instance from Dell/HP/Toshiba...that license is not transferable.

If you obtained and installed Win 10 via your own purchase, or if it was Upgraded from some previous Win 7 or 8 (OEM or not), that license can be transferred to new hardware.
The key is that you link this 'digital entitlement' to your MS account before changing hardware.
As in...do it now, before your motherboard breaks.

Read more here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

Solution