[SOLVED] Windows 10 won't detect GPU.

marktwayne

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
My computer has an MSI H77MA-G43, an i7 3770K, 32 GB RAM, and an AMD RX-480 8GB GPU. I was running all the latest drivers and BIOS updates. About a week ago, the computer no longer detected my RX-480 in device manager and I lost video. I tried three other GPUs (GTX-1650, RX-470, and RX-560) that I knew were working. Windows 10 didn't detect them either. I figured it must have been a Windows update that broke it, so I attempted to pull up a restore point from before the update. The computer no longer booted completely, but at least the video from the added card was visible until it crashed verifying that Windows 10 was the problem.

After this latest crash, the restore points were no longer visible, so I had to run a Windows 10 refresh. During the setup process, I was running off my added GPU. But when fully reinstalled, my GPU was no longer detected and I had to run off the processor's integrated P3000 graphics. Any idea how I can get Windows 10 to recognize added graphics cards again?

Solution
Yes, when you set it to PEG it should use the dedicated gpu only.
Also what you can try is that if you cannot get video signal from dedicated gpu after Windows boot, you can try to move cable from dedicated gpu to video output on motherboard?
If then it starts working with connection from motherboard than you will know that it switched from dedicated to integrated.
I don't know if windows can easily change these setting without any special program from motherboard vendor.
Like on laptops where is pretty common to even update bios(uefi) from windows itself without putting binary onto a flash drive and then upgrading from that.
Jul 6, 2021
Hello,
to me it seems like it's some kind of problem with PCIE slot? It's strange that windows after clean install would not recognize there GPUs.
I would try to connect the graphics card to second PCIE slot. It doesn't have full x16 length so bandwidth will be much lower but for display out it will be enough.

What do you mean by: "During the setup process, I was running off my added GPU. "? you put other card to that lower PCIE slot?

marktwayne

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the response. The PCI-E slot worked before the Windows 10 update a week ago. It also runs until Windows 10 is fully installed. I tend to think it is a driver issue with the latest Windows 10 update.

I don't have any cards that will fit in the lower slot, because it has headers that block all but single slot cards.

Jul 6, 2021
Ok, It's weird if the problem is with drivers because you tried GTX and also Radeon and It's unlikely that both drivers would be broken for Nvidia and AMD in the same time? Right?
what also come to my mind if in BIOS the video output priority is set to integrated gpu first or if there is some auto mode. And with new Windows update it get broke? So if you force the setting in BIOS to use dedicated gpu only? Have you tried?

marktwayne

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
You are right about the problem being the PCI-E slot. However, I don't think that necessarily means the motherboard has hardware problems. Video displays from the card until Windows loads. The BIOS has IGD and PEG settings for the PCiE slot. I have it set to PEG. That should start the dedicated card, right? Is it possible that Windows is overriding my BIOS settings?

Jul 6, 2021
Yes, when you set it to PEG it should use the dedicated gpu only.
Also what you can try is that if you cannot get video signal from dedicated gpu after Windows boot, you can try to move cable from dedicated gpu to video output on motherboard?
If then it starts working with connection from motherboard than you will know that it switched from dedicated to integrated.
I don't know if windows can easily change these setting without any special program from motherboard vendor.
Like on laptops where is pretty common to even update bios(uefi) from windows itself without putting binary onto a flash drive and then upgrading from that.

Solution
Jul 6, 2021
It was using the integrated gpu even when you specified to use only dedicated gpu in bios settings?
That's pretty weird, I'm running out of ideas :D I know it's just hypothetical but it's propably a motherboard problem?

Have you tried to downgrade bios? or just reflash it with default settings?

Jul 6, 2021
I cannot change it to SOLVED you are the creator of this thread so you're the one who can change it :D But it doesn't matter now.
Ok, now that's even more weird that it's stopped working.
And you can cannot see anything? including motherboard logo or boot menu? After you press power there is no signal right? (For the output from dedicated gpu)
If so, then I would say that's faulty motherboard or something wrong with CMOS RAM or storage where is saved configuration it's propably getting corrupted or something like that?