Windows 10 won't detect monitors

ALStrader7

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
Hello,
I have connected 3 monitors to my PC. I have used a VGA splitter and a DVI-I to VGA cables in order to connect the monitors to the computer. All the monitors display the same thing, but when I go into display settings, it does not detect any other screen. My display adapter comes up as Microsoft basic display adapter
Please help, thanks in advance.

Solution
HDMI to VGA? Is that an active converter? HDMI has no analogue component to it, and VGA is only for analogue, so any adaptor is going to have to have to convert the signal...

ALStrader7

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
I have used 2 ports to connect the monitors, 1 monitor is connected via a DVI to VGA cable (dvi end connected to the computer), the other 2 are connected with a VGA splitter coming from a VGA port in the graphics card.
With regards to the card, I have tried to find out what card it is by opening up the PC and removing the graphics card but there is no sign of a brand or anything. I have tried to check through device manager but it doest show which card I have installed.

ALStrader7

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
Another thing, under other devices, the video controller has a error triangle on it, on properties it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)" "There are no compatible drivers for this device". I have tried updating them and trying to find them online but I cant seem to find anything.

My advice to you is to get another card. You don't need anything too fancy, unless you want to game, just get one that can support 3 monitors. BTW what inputs do your monitors have, do they have any digital inputs at all?

ALStrader7

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
My monitors have 1 VGA and 1 DVI-D input. Apart from that it has 4 USB ports and and an audio port. There is no HDMI port. I have already searched up some graphics cards, I was considering getting EVGA GeForce GT 720 2GB DDR3, but I want that to be a last resort. I want to try out other methods first.

ALStrader7

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
However If I do buy and install that graphics card. Would I still be able to use the VGA splitter and have windows recognize 2 separate monitors, because I have heard that using a VGA splitter windows will mirror the screen on both monitors and will not detect them as 2 separate monitors. What do you suggest I use instead of a VGA splitter to be able to connect 2 monitors to the same output.

Simply buy a card with 3 outputs and you don't need to use splitters, just adaptors if need be. Some of those older cards have a VGA and 2 DVI-D. Newer cards often have display ports, HDMI and 1 DVI, it's easy to get an adaptor for HDMI or display port to DVI.

ALStrader7

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
Ok so I was looking at EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT-710 2GB DDR3. It can support 3 monitors but it doesn't say that it supports windows 10. It says that it supports windows XP - 8, will it support windows 10?.

Also it says "Memory Interface Width 64-bit ", now i don't know exactly what that means but my computer is a 32bit, is this card compatible with my computer?.

Lastly can I use 2 cards at the same time?.

Thanks

I just looked, and yes there are Windows 10 drivers for the GT 710 so it will work http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/87789
As for the memory width, that's an internal thing in the card, basically how fast data is sent from the GPU to the VRAM. It has nothing to do with data transfer from the card to your computer, so you're fine there.
What does concern me a little is why you only have a 32 bit computer, when most CPUs for the last 10 years can handle 64 bit. Anyway, as long as your computer has a PCIe X16 slot for the card to fit in, then it should be fine with an old card like the 710.
Two cards at the same time is possible if you have two x16 slots on your motherboard.

ALStrader7

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
Ok so I purchased a EVGA NVIDIA GT GEforce 710 and it fits into my computer. I managed to connect 2 Monitors 2 it.
One of them is with a VGA to VGA cable. The other one is with a DVI to DVI cable. Now the last slot on the graphics card is a HMDI output, the 3rd monitor only has a VGA or DVI slot.
I bought a VGA to HDMI cable to connect the 3rd monitor but it didn't work, When I go into the display settings the 3rd monitor is detected but the monitor does not display a screen.
The monitor can handle analogue and digital inputs, so why does it not work?.

Thanks

HDMI to VGA? Is that an active converter? HDMI has no analogue component to it, and VGA is only for analogue, so any adaptor is going to have to have to convert the signal to analogue.
What you should've gotten is a HDMI to DVI cable.

Solution