Windows 10 won't do a restart - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Win10_user

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
I installed Windows 10 as an upgrade and ever since my computer will not do a restart. I can shut it down then press the power button and get to Windows again. No problems there. But when I do a restart from Windows, the system idles down, the screen goes blank, and the fans keep running. But nothing happens. I have to turn the PSU off, then boot it up again. The problem is persistent. The same thing happens if I press the reset button.

Things I have tried so far:

1) A standard Windows repair. This did not fix the problem.

2) Downloaded and ran the Bo Yans boot repair tool. Did not fix the problem.

3) Ran all of the Chkdsk options, which took 3 hours to complete and all results came back clear. Still Windows 10 would not do a restart.

4) Scanned the registry and fixed all errors. Still no restart.

My computer is a Gigabyte B85M-D3H Motherboard with a Xeon E3 1231 V.3 processor. OS Windows 10 Home. 8 Gb RAM. 64-bit.

I suspect there is some small problem with the MBR, but am not sure. I hope someone can help solve this annoying problem.

Solution
I am answering my own question here.

Success at last!! After extensive searching through various internet forums and trying different things, this is what finally worked for me.

The solution was very simple. This has worked for many people including myself.

1) Go to "Power and Sleep" settings. Tell the computer to Never sleep.

2) Disable "Fast start".

3) Shut down computer and reboot.

4) Do a restart from Windows.

5) Under most circumstances, Fast Startup can be re-enabled after 3 successful restarts (I did 5 to be sure). and your PC will restart successfully from that time on.

I am at a loss to explain this, but it appears that certain systems are not compatible with the "fast startup" option and when enabled it causes the...

Win10_user

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
I am answering my own question here.

Success at last!! After extensive searching through various internet forums and trying different things, this is what finally worked for me.

The solution was very simple. This has worked for many people including myself.

1) Go to "Power and Sleep" settings. Tell the computer to Never sleep.

2) Disable "Fast start".

3) Shut down computer and reboot.

4) Do a restart from Windows.

5) Under most circumstances, Fast Startup can be re-enabled after 3 successful restarts (I did 5 to be sure). and your PC will restart successfully from that time on.

I am at a loss to explain this, but it appears that certain systems are not compatible with the "fast startup" option and when enabled it causes the computers to go to sleep on restart instead of restarting. This is perhaps a bug that Microsoft should investigate further.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.