Windows 10 won't shut down. PC won't turn on.

Jul 31, 2018
Hey guys. I just built my first mid/highend rig back in June of 2018. Ever since I've built it I've ran into a weird problem. Every few months my chrome tabs will stop responding. When I try to turn the PC off or restart after this happens the PC gets stuck in the shutdown process. My monitors and peripherals all turn off but the RGB and fans in the rig stay on and running. After this I can't turn the PC off by holding the power button. The only way to turn it off at this point is to turn off the power supply. Once I do that and turn the power supply back on the PC will not turn on from the power button. I've reseated components, updated windows, updated bios, etc. No dice. I even took it to Microcenter and they couldn't find anything wrong or solve the problem. The most success I've had getting it to turn on is if I leave the power supply off and unplug the power cable for an extended period of time. It doesn't work everytime but it has had the most success. I have no clue how to fix it. I'm not even 100% sure what the issue is but if I had to bet money on it I'd say it was a problem with the OS (windows 10 pro 64bit). Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

PC Specs

Cpu: Ryzen 7 2700x
Cpu Cooler: Corsair h150i pro
Gpu: Asus ROG Strix 1080ti
Mobo: Asus strix x470-F
RAM: 32gb Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz
PSU: Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold
Samsung 970 evo 250gb x2
Seagate Barracuda 3TB x2
Case: Corsair Air 540

Colif

Win 11 Master
that sounds like a motherboard issue. If you updated bios you should have already reset its settings but perhaps try setting BIOS to default.

Often if windows won't turn off every device at shutdown, its a power setting in bios conflicting with it. I have seen PC restart on shutdown for people before, its annoying when you can't turn PC off.

Jan 14, 2019
Sounds like a PSU issue. Get a PSU tester. Doubt it, but you could have another problem with the on-off switch too. The switch is merely a short between two pins and the wiring used usually pretty cheap. Motherboards sometimes include a similar switch on the motherboard that is more "responsive." You can leave the cover off and reach in to use that if you have one. You can also get a switch and plug that into the right pins on your motherboard, unplugging the one in your case for now. For troubleshooting, just run it outside your case any convenient way.

Jul 31, 2018

Jan 14, 2019
Well, it doesn't seem to be shutting down correctly which is why you are having trouble restarting. Power supplies have something to do with that but could be lots of other things, graphics or system. To work on system, IF you fear a fresh install on your C-drive, I'd move files off the non booting SSD or one of the hard drives-whichever has no system files or programs on it or find or borrow an old disk and run check disk on whichever. You can do that for your boot disk too. Then pull all those drives out of there except your boot SSD. Disconnect unnecessary peripherals. Boot on System Repair Disk if you have or can make. Otherwise download the latest windows 10 iso and create a bootable stick or DVD and boot on that. Then chose repair your computer and use repair tools available including a command prompt to run sfc/scannow. One of those will take you back to your your bios to check - settings are appropriate, particularly the uefi v legacy boot and all that.

Before I wasted too much more time beyond that, i would take out the c-drive and only install one good blank disk as above. Fresh install W10 and see if it works. I suppose it will take awhile to be sure. I believe in doing things simple. Try the obvious simple repairs and then fresh install. IF it works, it was your system. If not, you have a hardware problem.

Jul 31, 2018

If you are trying to quote and reply, then click on the text to the left of the buttons at the bottom right corner of any post, and then click below the quoted text in the box that pops up to type your reply. Click the "Answer" button when finished. Clicking the quotes button does nothing really.

2uh3i9u.jpg

If you are using a mobile device, the mobile site sucks so just forget about quotes and click into the "Your answer" box below the last post on any page and type your answer there. Or, if you have email notifications enabled it seem some users have had succes replying WITH a quote, by doing so directly from the email. Click on Submit your answer when you are finished.

Jul 31, 2018

I tried fresh install of Windows and I'm still having the same issues. Is there any chance it could be the motherboard? When I had this issue earlier I had my PSU checked and it was functioning properly so idk what else it could be.

Jul 31, 2018

Thx I was on mobile since my PC was down

Jul 31, 2018

I've tried a fresh install of Windows and still the same problems. Is there any specific power settings I should look for in bios? It's tough even getting there seeing as how If I restart my PC it may just black screen and repeat the issue again. Also if it was a mobo issue what exactly would cause something like this? I have a warranty on it but am afraid that I'll install the new one only to be greeted with the same issues.

Jul 31, 2018

I'm sorry I hadn't tried this method yet but I am now. In the event my PC still is suffering from the same issue would that more than likely point towards a hardware issue and not a windows issue?

Maybe, but not "certainly". The next things I'd check are that your motherboard bios is the latest available version for your board according to the product support page for it, and that you have installed ALL of the latest drivers for your motherboard from that same page, except the chipset drivers which I would get directly from the AMD website and install.

If your bios is up to date, and your drivers are all up to date (And do NOT trust Windows update for drivers, those are hit or miss on whether or not they work well or at all in most cases. Get the drivers from the motherboard product support page) then the next thing I'd try is a CLEAN install of the operating system. And THEN, AFTER doing a clean install and again updating ALL of the drivers using those available from the motherboard product page, if you STILL have an issue, then it is probably hardware related.

Windows 10 Clean install tutorial

Jul 31, 2018

I am currently creating a bootable linux drive. I will respond as soon as possible with results.

Jul 31, 2018

Ok so update:

I've successfully installed Linux and after several successful shutdowns and startups it appears that the problem was Windows and not my motherboard (which is a relief), but the question still stands of what was going on with Windows to cause the problem in the first place? I've tried disabling hibernation and hypersleep, changing power options, updating mobo drivers and bios, and updating windows to no avail. The options of sticking with Linux and using a "Windows Skin" over Linux have been brought to my attention but with all do respect I'm more comfortable using Windows and would like to use the OS I paid for. I still need to find out what exactly is causing the issue with Windows.

I should also mention that before trying Linux I did a clean install of Windows 10 completely formatting the ssd that Windows was on. When the new install of Windows was complete I had 2 or 3 successful shutdowns and boots until attempting to reinstall one of the programs on my PC (Asus RBG controller). Once the program finished installing it required a restart and when I restarted the same issues appeared as the rgb on he peripherals and the monitors shut down, but the rbg in the PC remained on and the fans kept spinning. The power and reset button were unresponsive only leaving the power supply switch as the only way to power off the system. After turning the power supply off and then back on my PC would not turn back on from the power button and did not turn back on until I left the PSU off for about an hour and a half.

Any solutions or suggestions welcome. Thanks Guys!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried a clean boot? read instructions carefully and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or win 10 may not start right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

its possibly caused by one of your start up programs. If a clean boot fixes it, you will need to slowly add the programs back to startup to identify the cause, then its likely some option in the program