Windows 10 won't wake up from sleep mode

Oct 14, 2018
Hi, I built my PC around 2 years ago and since then there was not a single problem, but then around 1 month ago the problems began: I wasn't able to wake it with mouse or keyboard anymore. At first i just had to turn off the power switch for 15 seconds (less time did not work) and boot again, but then the only way to restart windows was to clear CMOS every time. Now I have disabled fast boot in BIOS, and it restarts every time, but the sleep problem perisits; if I turn off power just for a few seconds the system acts like it is waking from sleep, and the open programs are still there.
I've tried to change power settings, enable/disable hybrid sleep, restore hibernation file, update BIOS, repair update Windows, but nothing worked.
Can you guys help me? Thanks.

System:
Asrock Z170 Extreme 6
Intel Core i7 6700k (no OC)
Nvidia GTX 1070
Samsung SSD 850 EVO (main drive)
Seagate HDD ST2000DM001
XFX XTR P1-750B-BEFX PSU
Windows 10 home ver. 1803

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
Try going into device manager and finding your keyboard. It'll say like HID keyboard device or something. Right click on it and go to properties. Then under power management make sure allow this device to wake my computer is checked.

Oct 14, 2018
Thanks, I have already done that. After some tries I found out that the system DOES wake up, but after 3 minutes; in those minutes it is completely unresponsive. I updated my graphic drivers about 1 month ago, could they cause the issue?

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017

That's weird. I wouldn't think a display driver would have anything to do with it. My suggestion would be to just disable hibernation and sleep period and just have your monitor cut off after a certain period of time. Most of your power usage comes from the monitor anyway. Sleep mode has always been problematic in Windows.

I have had similar problems for the past 5 - 10 days. There was an Windows update that I received on 10/2/2018 (KB4023057). It modified the Power function. It coincides with my problems.

I tried a lot of things to fix this. I ended up going back to Windows 10 version 1709. It didn't fix the problem. I then restored my system to a restore point on 8/24/2018.

I haven't had a problem with my monitor waking from sleep yet (it is still too soon to know fir sure). But it did fix another app problem that I was having.

So I would suggest restoring your system to a couple of weeks before you noticed the problem started. Also try uninstalling the KB4023057 update and pausing your updates.

Oct 14, 2018
Update: this morning after the whole night with current off it didn't boot. Then i switched current off again for 20 seconds and now it boots. What can cause that?

To perform a hard boot on a desktop, first shut the Operating System down. Then turn off the power switch on the power supply. Then press and hold the PC power button for 10 seconds. Then unplug the power cord from the power supply for 30 seconds to a minute.

This allows the capacitors to discharge. When that happens the PC relies on the CMOS battery to maintain the bios settings. But the operating system and all applications are wiped until the PC is powered on. Then system boots up and the operating system loads from the system drive.

As to why it worked, after "Then i switched current off again for 20 seconds and now it boots. What can cause that". I'm not sure. I don't know how you switched the current off. Just turning the system off for 20 seconds would amount to a restart.

Oct 14, 2018

Thanks for the answer. My PSU is plugged into a socket which has a switch, i usually switch current off from there (I think is the same as switching off the PSU). The strange thing is that i left current off all night, so the capacitors should have discharged. By the way i didn't press the power button for 10 seconds.
Do you think that a bad CMOS battery could cause my problems?

I doubt that the CMOS battery is the problem here. The symptoms of that are loosing your BIOS settings. It also involves loosing time on the system clock, but now most are set to update off of the internet (so you might not notice it).

Try this. DO the same procedure for your mouse. The settings may have been corrupted at some point.

To resolve this issue for, follow these steps:
Open the Keyboard control panel item, as described in Method 1.
Click the Hardware tab, and then click Properties.
Click the Change Settings button

Note This step requires Administrator access
Click the Power Management tab, and then verify that the Allow this device to wake the computer is enabled.
Click OK, and then click OK again.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/266283/troubleshoot-problems-waking-computer-from-sleep-mode

I have a feeling that this is probably related to a Windows 10 update problem. Version 1803 has been a headache since last spring. The updates trying to fix those issues are causing more issues. Now Windows 10 October update version 1809 is here. It has had so many problems, that it is suspended for now.

Oct 14, 2018

Both my mouse and keyboard are allowed to wake up the PC. I've got a bluethoot dongle for my keyboard with a led that is lit when a key is pressed: in sleep mode when i press a key for the first time it briefly flashes (so the input is received), but then it dies with the rest of the system until the wake up.
I've also made other tests and the times to get out of sleep are different after every hard boot. Sometimes it takes 1 minute, sometimes it never wakes.

I'm still having this problem too. In my case I'm pretty sure that Windows is the culprit. I guess I'm going to end up doing a fresh install of Windows 10.

The problem that I'm having is that I can reset the monitor and it will work normally all day. But the next day, it will not wake up again. It isn't set to go to sleep or hibernate, but that seems to be the case over night.

Plus at one point (with version 1803) when it was set to set to shut off, it would shut off at the correct time. But then it would be in a loop of shutting down and restarting. And that absolutely was Window's fault.

But even with a pristine install of Windows 10, it is still subject to Windows updates that will likely screw it up again.

Sep 23, 2019
Hi, I have similar problem. My laptop does not wake up but ONLY when Chrome is running when laptop goes to sleep mode. This problem happens at 33 - 50% "goes to sleep".
This problem should be connected to Intel management engine drivers. As I know Chrome is using small multimedia core in CPU when PC is sleeping (Chrome can use multimedia and network when PC is off) .

Only solution I found is not to use Chrome. (I tried new graphic, intel, mtb, soundcard drivers, new bios, reinstall Windows). Nothing helped.
Laptop Asus UX305U.