[SOLVED] Windows 11 compatible CPU

Oct 8, 2021
I have a Dell XPS 27 7760 AIO with an I7-7700 CPU. Microsoft says that CPU will not work with Windows 11. Can I upgrade the CPU in this computer to an I7 CPU that is compatible with WIN 11? If so, can I use any I7-CPU that meets Microsoft's requirements, or am I limited to specific CPUs?

Solution
You have no real upgrade capability, in that system. Being an AIO PC, especially, as those are typically laptop products, stuffed into a monitor. Frankly, I would recommend just sticking with win 10. By the time Win 10 service runs out, it will be new PC time anyway.
As of right now officially windows 11 will not work on 7th gen cpus. The i7 7700/k is the best cpu you can fit in that socket. Unless microsoft changes its mind you would have to buy a new computer to get windows 11.

You have until October 14, 2025 till windows 10 hits end of life so by then you might want to upgrade to something newer.

logainofhades

Titan
You have no real upgrade capability, in that system. Being an AIO PC, especially, as those are typically laptop products, stuffed into a monitor. Frankly, I would recommend just sticking with win 10. By the time Win 10 service runs out, it will be new PC time anyway.

Solution
Oct 8, 2021
As of right now officially windows 11 will not work on 7th gen cpus. The i7 7700/k is the best cpu you can fit in that socket. Unless microsoft changes its mind you would have to buy a new computer to get windows 11.

You have until October 14, 2025 till windows 10 hits end of life so by then you might want to upgrade to something newer.

Thanks for the input. Before I give up, I see that Microsoft's extensive list of all supported CPUs does shows that two 7th gen I7s are compatible: I7-7800x and I7-7820x. Will either of those fit in the socket now occupied by the I7-7700?