News Windows 11 Desktop Watermark Might Come to Unsupported PCs

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
If the "System requirements not met" watermark particularly annoys you, there is a way to banish it from the desktop. It only needs a few steps in Regedit............

Microsoft finds ways to make things more inconvenient for users, meanwhile, Linux is sitting there, being all convenient and stuff.

They've already cut people off with the TPM 2.0 requirement so why can't they just leave it at that and leave people alone? It's kind of a certain "rubbing your nose in it" from them.

Microsoft finds ways to make things more inconvenient for users, meanwhile, Linux is sitting there, being all convenient and stuff.

They've already cut people off with the TPM 2.0 requirement so why can't they just leave it at that and leave people alone? It's kind of a certain "rubbing your nose in it" from them.
Eh, if you know enough to install linux you know enough to circumvent the TPM requirement and the CPU one as well.

excalibur1814

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009

Linux 'people' never seem to give up. Tell you what, let's all move over to linux and once we're all in a mess, or a standard arrives, Linux will be in the same boat as Windows. No-one is FORCING anyone to get Windows 11. Stick with 10 and please, please, try linux for a laugh. It's not bad at all. Then, come back to Windows.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Linux 'people' never seem to give up. Tell you what, let's all move over to linux and once we're all in a mess, or a standard arrives, Linux will be in the same boat as Windows. No-one is FORCING anyone to get Windows 11.

Not yet. That statement has an expiration date though. We were told(or at best, led to believe without ever being corrected) that nobody would be forced into Windows 10. Then, they were forced.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/...-disregards-user-choice-and-privacy-deep-dive
https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/05/29/microsoft-denies-forcing-windows-10-upgrade.html

So it goes. Yeah, Linux people do generally not give up. Neither does Microsoft, so it's even. Windows 11 will be forced some day because leopards don't change their spots. Show me your past and I'll show you your future.

Stick with 10 and please, please, try linux for a laugh. It's not bad at all. Then, come back to Windows.

Many people don't come back though, they stay with Linux. That's why you can pick any 3 to 5 year increments, and in all cases Linux had more users than in the previous segment. And with the Steam Deck going out there now, the numbers are going to do much better than ever before. What an amazing accomplishment that Linux will be as good of a gaming platform as any other and it's being put together right now.

Never forget, Linux did start out with a grand total of one user. Now look where we're at.

5 years from now, I guarantee it. There will be more Linux users than there are right here, right now as you read this message. It will not be less or the same number as a percentage. It will be bigger.

Linux? Convenient? Have you actually used Linux for more than a day?

With a question like that, have you? It used to be that everything in a distro required the command line, you know, in the 1990s. But the 1990s called and they want their terminal back. Everything these days without rare exception is done (and has been for years) with pointy clicky blocky windows and "next" buttons. Even whole OS upgrades are done with one to three clicks. (For example, Ubuntu --> New Ubuntu release)

A user explicitly has to go out of their way to do tasks in terminal and avoid clicking their mouse. Those days of mandatory hard typing are long gone. I am truly sorry nobody sent you the memo.

With a question like that, have you? It used to be that everything in a distro required the command line, you know, in the 1990s. But the 1990s called and they want their terminal back. Everything these days without rare exception is done (and has been for years) with pointy clicky blocky windows and "next" buttons. Even whole OS upgrades are done with one to three clicks. (For example, Ubuntu --> New Ubuntu release)

A user explicitly has to go out of their way to do tasks in terminal and avoid clicking their mouse. Those days of mandatory hard typing are long gone. I am truly sorry nobody sent you the memo.
I've been using it regularly at work for the better part of a decade and I have a few systems in some form or fashion that run Linux. I still regularly service Linux with the terminal, and for some of the things I do, like web app development, I have to use the terminal because either there isn't a GUI front end, or most of the documentation and tutorials don't assume you're using one because it's not a standard feature. I mean heck, I recently launched a website using NGINX on a headless server. Tell me, where can I avoid using the terminal?

Maybe if all you do with Linux is just the OOB experience you can get away with not touching the terminal, but if you want to be productive with it, you have to the touch the terminal.

Many people don't come back though, they stay with Linux. That's why you can pick any 3 to 5 year increments, and in all cases Linux had more users than in the previous segment. And with the Steam Deck going out there now, the numbers are going to do much better than ever before. What an amazing accomplishment that Linux will be as good of a gaming platform as any other and it's being put together right now.

Never forget, Linux did start out with a grand total of one user. Now look where we're at.

5 years from now, I guarantee it. There will be more Linux users than there are right here, right now as you read this message. It will not be less or the same number as a percentage. It will be bigger.
Sorry to tell you but those will be steam users and not linux users, they will never even see the linux desktop let alone do anything with it.
The PS and xbox (and retropie/android etc) also use linux variants underneath, those also aren't linux users.
Yes 5 years from now there will be more linux users then there are now, that's not going to change anything though.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Maybe if all you do with Linux is just the OOB experience you can get away with not touching the terminal, but if you want to be productive with it, you have to the touch the terminal.

Yes, the Out-Of-the-Box experience is what's being discussed here. How was this even a question? I even brought up an example, that of doing an OS upgrade. That's not all that uncommon of a task for a non-programmer and it's typically, what, two mouse clicks? Three clicks if you include clicking on the "start" menu? Using web browsers, word processors, installing new software and plugins - none of this stuff requires terminal. It also doesn't carry unnecessary inconveniences imposed by some corporate board.

Programmers have no expectation to avoid the command line and that is JUST as true in Windows or on a Mac or FreeBSD or anything else.

Tell me, where can I avoid using the terminal?

When setting up headless servers and web app development and all the rest of this, I have no idea how you can possibly avoid Powershell/cmd/the new Windows Terminal/Mac terminal.app.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
A watermark for unsupported hardware? Ok, it's just a little message at the bottom of the screen. Annoying, but not the end of the world. Still, this is a bad move by Microsoft. Hide that message away in the settings app or update screen. No need for it to be obtrusive on the desktop.

I've got a laptop that I'd like to install Windows 11 on. It meets every requirement, except the CPU -- a 7700HQ. I'm annoyed that the system is "unsupported" because it's a really good 2-in-1 (Yoga 720 maxed out). It's not that old. Most 2-in-1 devices don't have the 4k resolution and dedicated graphics, so there's no upgrade option from this machine.