News Windows 11 is Gaining Native RGB Controls to Clean Up Third-Party Mess

Makaveli

Splendid
I am also on the fence if MS can clean this up.

On my system I currently use

ICue which controls

My Keyboard, mouse and headset, and motherboard lighting all of these items are Corsair products except the motherboard but there is an Asus plugin in cue for that.

Then I have GSkill Memory so I need their lighting app for that. I have uninstalled armor crate.

All of the component vendor wants you to be locked into their ecosystem, especially Corsair.

I am also on the fence if MS can clean this up.

On my system I currently use

ICue which controls

My Keyboard, mouse and headset, and motherboard lighting all of these items are Corsair products except the motherboard but there is an Asus plugin in cue for that.

Then I have GSkill Memory so I need their lighting app for that. I have uninstalled armor crate.

All of the component vendor wants you to be locked into their ecosystem, especially Corsair.
I used to have a very similar setup to yours. I have an asus x570-f motherboard, a coolermaster H500m case (and fans), a Coolermaster ml360r AIO, an EVGA 3080 FTW3 graphics card, Gskill Royal RAM, and I used to have a corsair K70 keyboard and M65 mouse. I recently got a new mouse and keyboard because I cannot be bothered with iCue anymore. I set everything I have to my favorite static color and call it a day. I used to use a third party software called "Jacknet" and it actually synced everything except the EVGA graphics card with effects running.

Reactions: Makaveli
Also how many of these controller apps need elevated privileges to run? I feel like the ones I bothered with always wanted them and I never understood why. So if anything, not only would this be a good thing by rolling up everything into one place, but if Microsoft can make a generic driver or some other thing that can run without elevated privileges, I'm all for that.

I'm pretty sure RGB control software these days is thinly veiled spyware. Especially if they have to ask for that much permission to run.

Makaveli

Splendid
I used to have a very similar setup to yours. I have an asus x570-f motherboard, a coolermaster H500m case (and fans), a Coolermaster ml360r AIO, an EVGA 3080 FTW3 graphics card, Gskill Royal RAM, and I used to have a corsair K70 keyboard and M65 mouse. I recently got a new mouse and keyboard because I cannot be bothered with iCue anymore. I set everything I have to my favorite static color and call it a day. I used to use a third party software called "Jacknet" and it actually synced everything except the EVGA graphics card with effects running.
i've tried signal RGB and Open RGB but ran into issues with both not detecting all of my devices.

So went back to my current setup. I've thought of doing just one static color also but for now the current setup is usable for me.

Reactions: helper800
As much as I like the idea of this stuff.....I still won't go to WIN11.
its QoL is a downgrade over win10 for ppl who know how to use their computer.

Might end up going/learning Linux just to avoid WIN11 (and likely 12's) unpopular changes.

hannibal

Distinguished
Those RGB controllers have been so bad that Microsoft can only make something that is better and at least little bit safer than what we have no in the market. And if this really becomes the standard, no need to have 10 different RGB controllers to 10 different RGB products.

For me it is not a change, because i have installed zero RGB controller to my machine, but hopefully this does help peoples who has already several different controllers installed!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
As much as I like the idea of this stuff.....I still won't go to WIN11.
its QoL is a downgrade over win10 for ppl who know how to use their computer.

Might end up going/learning Linux just to avoid WIN11 (and likely 12's) unpopular changes.

i did it to avoid Win 10 and i'm very happy i did it. got a win 10 vm for the few games i have that need it. otherwise it is never turned on. every other thing i want to do is just as easy on linux as it is on windows. i have NOTHING from MS installed outside of the win 10 vm and plan on keeping it that way :)

hardest thing was learning how to pass through a gpu and some usb ports and such to the vm so it could handle the game and controller. everything else was rather easy to get used to in day to day computing.

in relation to the article itself. if MS could pull it off, it would be a great achievement. not sure it is possible since every company deliberately makes it impossible , but if they can manage it, those who like flashy stuff will be very happy.

no need to atm (as i still can use win10)
I do enjoy windows, but 11 is like 8 and changing what didnt need changed & if 12 follows 11 then I wont have that option.
I mean, you can still use Windows 10 after Microsoft drops support. It's not like the OS will refuse to work.

But either way, instead of flirting with the idea of using Linux, just start using it now. Get it out of the way.

3tank

Prominent
Jun 21, 2022
If its anything like their HDR controls then we should be in good hands, right?

I have a feeling the "big update" will come and all we'll find is Patriot Viper installed

Last edited:

Sam Bi

Commendable
Mar 7, 2021
Funny, the only thing I really need lighting for is the monitor to be true to life colors. The rest can be behind a wall, except of course for the keyboard and mouse. Sure lets use more power just so it looks pretty with changing lights. How about just making the OS more power efficient, the fans quieter etc...

RandomWan

Prominent
Sep 22, 2022
I'd rather resources go to feeding something like OpenRGB than Windows 11 in regards to this. I wouldn't trust MS to not screw it up. They've already done so with Win 11 after changing so many things in ways that no one I know of was asking for. They'll likely come up with a solution that makes no one happy.

mrwitte

Honorable
Apr 21, 2017
When? WHEN?!

Please excuse my intensity.
Articles about this everywhere, never an estimated delivery date, still no feature present on Windows 11.

Tried Insider Builds once; know better now, will never again.

Losing faith, vaporware fading into fog