Question Windows 11 keeps freezing

Bamda

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2017
I'm experiencing persistent freezing with Windows 11.

Initially, the issue occurred during installation from a USB onto a newly formatted SSD. The process would freeze after reaching the screen to name the PC and log into the Microsoft account. I've attempted the installation with four different USB drives and two different Microsoft installation tools, MediaCreationTool_Win11_23H2 and MediaCreationTool22H2. Additionally, I've conducted two memtest86 checks, which passed without errors. After removing and externally testing the primary SSD on another computer, no issues were detected. Currently, the PC only has essential components connected: the video card, two SSDs, RAM, power supply, keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Following a break, I resumed the installation of Windows 11. Although I had to restart the computer twice to complete it, the system still freezes within minutes after logging in, regardless of the activity.

I'm considering reseating the memory to see if it resolves the issue. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bamda

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2017
CPUAMD Ryzen 9 5900X Vermeer 3.7GHz 12-Core AM4
GPUMSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 4070 Ti VENTUS 3X 12G OC
MotherboardASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
RAMRipjaws V DDR4-3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V 64GB (4x16GB) F4-3600C16Q-64GVKC
Boot SSDSAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S2T0B/AM)
Secondary SSDCrucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD CT4000P3SSD8
CooloerARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 240
Power SupplyCORSAIR RMx Series 850W ATX12V 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I'm experiencing persistent freezing with Windows 11.

Initially, the issue occurred during installation from a USB onto a newly formatted SSD. The process would freeze after reaching the screen to name the PC and log into the Microsoft account. I've attempted the installation with four different USB drives and two different Microsoft installation tools, MediaCreationTool_Win11_23H2 and MediaCreationTool22H2. Additionally, I've conducted two memtest86 checks, which passed without errors. After removing and externally testing the primary SSD on another computer, no issues were detected. Currently, the PC only has essential components connected: the video card, two SSDs, RAM, power supply, keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Following a break, I resumed the installation of Windows 11. Although I had to restart the computer twice to complete it, the system still freezes within minutes after logging in, regardless of the activity.

I'm considering reseating the memory to see if it resolves the issue. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Even though this sounds like a hardware issue, you can try creating a USB installer using Rufus. Either download the ISO yourself from Microsoft, or let Rufus download it.

When installing Windows, remove the secondary NVMe. This is not to fix this problem but to prevent the installer from adding extra partitions onto it.

Your RAM is compatible, and you tested it so we can eliminate that as a cause.

Is the cooler properly installed and working correctly? You can monitor temperatures in BIOS.

Speaking of BIOS, is the motherboard using the latest BIOS? It can affect stability, esp. if the BIOS is way out of date.

Reactions: Bamda

Bamda

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2017
Even though this sounds like a hardware issue, you can try creating a USB installer using Rufus. Either download the ISO yourself from Microsoft, or let Rufus download it.

When installing Windows, remove the secondary NVMe. This is not to fix this problem but to prevent the installer from adding extra partitions onto it.

Your RAM is compatible, and you tested it so we can eliminate that as a cause.

Is the cooler properly installed and working correctly? You can monitor temperatures in BIOS.

Speaking of BIOS, is the motherboard using the latest BIOS? It can affect stability, esp. if the BIOS is way out of date.
I haven't tried Rufus yet, but I will give it a go. Before this issue arose, overheating wasn't a problem; my system was running very cool. I usually do minimal overclocking, but since this issue began, I've reset the BIOS to eliminate any overclocking. I was up to date the last time I checked, but I'll verify the BIOS once more. Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: 35below0

TRENDING THREADS