Question Windows 11 loading time ?

Grijander

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Motherboard: ROG Strix B650-A Gaming WiFi
CPU: Ryzen 7800X3D

I have seen many people posting threads about AM5 platform boot times (most of them related to POST), but I don't have this issue. My POST times are about 4-5 seconds tops, so no problem with that. My problem is with the Windows 11 loading time (the part where the spinning circle appears below the ROG logo). The Windows 11 login screen takes around 20 seconds to appear, while in my old system (i5 8600k) it takes only around 3-4 seconds. Everything else appears to be fine, but this somewhat long Windows load time grinds my gears a little bit. It takes around 31-32 seconds to get into Windows desktop from the very moment I push the power button. Too long, in my opinion.

Memory Context Restore and Power Down enable are both enabled in my BIOS setup. Fast Boot is disabled because I don't notice any difference in POST times and as far as I know, it's better to keep it disabled for better system stability.

Any suggestions? Windows 11 fast boot is enabled on Windows energy settings.

Last edited:

Grijander

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Do you have any startup programs? What kind of c: drive are you using?
Windows 11 is installed on a Corsair MP600 GS 500GB nvme unit. It's just used for OS and a couple of applications. No games installed there.

Currently I'm not at home, but I don't have anything specially heavy loaded at startup. Steam, GOG, Armoury Crate, lian li fan control app, msi afterburner and a couple more applications. I have disabled a lot of unused apps like onedrive and many others.

The thing is... there was a point where Windows 11 loaded quite fast. Like in 5-6 seconds. But I updated some things (amd chipset to latest ones, Nvidia drivers, and a BIOS update (version 2412, I have a ROG Strix b650-a gaming wifi), and after restoring my BIOS settings as they were before the update, Windows boot became significantly slower. POST times are fine, it just takes around 6 seconds to the ROG logo to appear on screen. But the spinning circle screen that appears just before Windows login screen takes around 25 seconds until W11 login screen appears.

It takes around 31-32 seconds to get into Windows desktop from the very moment I push the power button. Too long, in my opinion.
Do you restart your pc like 30 times per day, if that bothers you so much?
I couldn't care less, if it is 5 or 30 seconds. My pc gets restarted may be once per month (or less).

Anyway - 30 seconds is perfectly normal.
5 seconds - it was probably waking up from sleep (not full restart).

Grijander

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Last edited:
I mean it was 5-6 seconds during the spinning wheel loading icon. Not from cold boot.

Currently that load time is around 20-25 seconds. The wheel spins that long before W11 login screen appears. Definitely not normal, because that loading time used to be 5-7 seconds.
Yes my post takes about 10 seconds and then 3-4 seconds for Windows to open up from the spinning Windows wheel. Posting time is the computer doing self check, then Windows opens up. Do you have the m2 drive's trim cleaned, how about running sfc /scannow? I would also try uninstalling Armoury crate, I have found that app to be more of a nuisance than helpful.

Grijander

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Yes my post takes about 10 seconds and then 3-4 seconds for Windows to open up from the spinning Windows wheel. Posting time is the computer doing self check, then Windows opens up. Do you have the m2 drive's trim cleaned, how about running sfc /scannow? I would also try uninstalling Armoury crate, I have found that app to be more of a nuisance than helpful.
I had Armoury Crate when my W11 load time was much shorter so I don't think that's the cause of long load time. And I use the app to manage my fans and some other things.

I will try sfc /scannow, because honestly I don't know what could have changed to make W11 to take like 25 seconds to load login screen.

PD: did the sfc /scannow but the Windows 11 load time is still around 25 seconds. It takes around 36-37 seconds from cold boot to Windows 11 login screen. It's not a big deal but honestly I don't know what made my Windows 11 load like x3 times slower than before.

Last edited:

Grijander

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Are you using wireless or Ethernet?
Ethernet.

I booted the system in safe mode and the Windows 11 load time was much shorter. So definitely there is some service that is slowing down the Windows boot. Tried to disable all non-Microsoft services but unfortunately, it didn't work. Windows load time still took around 20 seconds. So I guess some Microsoft service is slowing down the load of the OS. Also disabled all startup applications, but the Windows load time was exactly the same: 20 seconds.

Maybe that's how it's supposed to be with the last W11 update? I don't know. It's not a big deal because when I login into my W11 account, everything loads very fast. But I don't know why some weeks ago my boot times were something around 13 seconds and now it's 30-32 seconds, since I haven't made any significant change to my system.

Last edited:

Latest posts