Question Windows 11 network connection problem with games only ?

Mar 9, 2024
Hello, so I'm only having network connection issues when I load up games.
I have a brand new PC with a new CAT8 ethernet cable.
For certain games I can run for 5+ minutes and then it will disconnect me on all my games and says:
" network error: check internet connection "

I've done troubleshooting and even got a new ethernet cable and it clears with no diagnostic.
I can run youtube, twitch or any app but no games.
My router is next to a window, but it always has been.
My Xbox runs games fine with no problems but my PC does not.

Any tips?

You need to check something like the event log to see if it will tell you what is going down. There is a large difference between the ethernet port on your pc failing and some other random issue between you and the game company over the internet.

Almost all so called cat8 cables people buy are fakes. Real ones are only used in data centers where they need 40 or 100gbit.
Real cat8 cable are very expensive in the range of 10 times more than cat5e cables so no end consumer would really buy them at that price.

People think bigger number is better even though at cat5e cable will run 1gbit the same as any bigger number

This though might not be your problem you have to determine if the ethernet port is going down which could be due to a bad cable.

Note when you say your router is next to a window, how do you get internet services. Is it a fiber or cable coming into your house or are you using some kind of wireless service.

Reactions: AngelicKay
Mar 9, 2024
You need to check something like the event log to see if it will tell you what is going down. There is a large difference between the ethernet port on your pc failing and some other random issue between you and the game company over the internet.

Almost all so called cat8 cables people buy are fakes. Real ones are only used in data centers where they need 40 or 100gbit.
Real cat8 cable are very expensive in the range of 10 times more than cat5e cables so no end consumer would really buy them at that price.

People think bigger number is better even though at cat5e cable will run 1gbit the same as any bigger number

This though might not be your problem you have to determine if the ethernet port is going down which could be due to a bad cable.

Note when you say your router is next to a window, how do you get internet services. Is it a fiber or cable coming into your house or are you using some kind of wireless service
I didnt know they sold fakes, good to know. I have my CAT6 still but that also had the same network issue.

I was given advice by my friend who is in IT that it could be my NIC card having issues,
but I spent near 3k on this PC, I was trying to refrain from spending more and check all of my options before replacing it.
The CAT6 that I currently own I bought brand new along with my PC, I replaced it with the CAT8 thinking that might be the leading issue to no prevail avail.

I live in an apartment so it has its own port to hook up the router, I believe its wireless.

Mod Edit: Also, I don't have cable. My Roku works just fine when I watch any streaming service!

Last edited:
Online games are different than pretty much any other kind of network traffic. Even if you were to say watch a "live" streaming service like twitch these are actually delayed feed. There is a couple seconds of buffers used to hide network issue and maybe variations in the frame time.

Online games are actually real time connections. They have no ability to tolerate any delays or packet loss other application use buffers to hide.

So the basic first test is to open a cmd window and leave a constant ping command run to your router IP. When the game complains of network issues quickly switch to this window and see if you are seeing data loss. This would indicate some issue with the pc or the cable or even the router.

If you see no loss then it gets more complex. You can leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see if you get loss there. Problem is even if you see a issue here it is past the router and only the ISP can really fix it.

This is why I asked how your internet is connected. If it is a wireless conenction that say is connected to a cell tower it is going to be very hard to get anything fixed. Any form of wireless connection tends to be unstable with online games,they tend to have more data loss and random delays games do not like.

Things like cable or fiber connection the ISP can send someone out to check the wires between your house and their boxes. All it takes is a tiny bit of water or dirt in a connection for it to not work properly. If you are using wireless who know when a bird might sit on the ISP antenna.

Reactions: AngelicKay
Mar 9, 2024
Online games are different than pretty much any other kind of network traffic. Even if you were to say watch a "live" streaming service like twitch these are actually delayed feed. There is a couple seconds of buffers used to hide network issue and maybe variations in the frame time.

Online games are actually real time connections. They have no ability to tolerate any delays or packet loss other application use buffers to hide.

So the basic first test is to open a cmd window and leave a constant ping command run to your router IP. When the game complains of network issues quickly switch to this window and see if you are seeing data loss. This would indicate some issue with the pc or the cable or even the router.

If you see no loss then it gets more complex. You can leave a ping run to 8.8.8.8 and see if you get loss there. Problem is even if you see a issue here it is past the router and only the ISP can really fix it.

This is why I asked how your internet is connected. If it is a wireless conenction that say is connected to a cell tower it is going to be very hard to get anything fixed. Any form of wireless connection tends to be unstable with online games,they tend to have more data loss and random delays games do not like.

Things like cable or fiber connection the ISP can send someone out to check the wires between your house and their boxes. All it takes is a tiny bit of water or dirt in a connection for it to not work properly. If you are using wireless who know when a bird might sit on the ISP antenna.
I see, what would be the command that I use for the test? Thank you by the way, I do appreciate this.

Also, my WIFI has no antenna, its basically a router, cable and the port that is inside my apartment wall, Thats about it! So yeah, I don't have anything outside that connects me to internet! Sorry I might have confused that one.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about my understanding or conception about your appartment network (line diagram):

==== ???====>[Wall port] ----- Ethernet cable ----> [WAN port] Router [LAN Port # ?] ---- Ethernet cable ----> PC [LAN port]

with ~~~~ Wireless ~~~~> Roku, Xbox, and other wireless devices (if any).

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

= = = =

Any information about where the connection to the ??? side of the Wall Port originates?

Router (make, and model)?

Who has full admin rights to the router?

On your PC run "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the results here.

= = = =

One thought is that the PC has two network adapters enabled. There should only be one network adapter connected and that adapter should be an Ethernet adapter if a cable is being used to connect PC and router. With any PC WiFi adapters being disabled....

Understanding the network connections along with the results from "ipconfig /all" will likely prove very helpful.