Question Windows 11 Network Credentials

mjw72652

Reputable
Sep 1, 2020
I have a home network comprising four Synology NAS units, a printer, a Dell Desktop, and an MSI laptop, all running the latest update of Windows 11 Pro. On the Dell, all devices usually appear in the File Explorer's network pane, except for the Dell itself, and the MSI laptop, which appears inconsistently. When the MSI is visible, its shared folders are sometimes accessible without issues. However, most of the time, Windows prompts for a username and password, which I cannot provide as they do not exist. I've confirmed through the Credential Manager that there are no stored credentials for the MSI laptop.

On the MSI laptop, the network pane in File Explorer fails to display either computer, though it shows all other devices.

The sporadic appearance of the Network Credentials prompt is frustrating. As a workaround, I access shared folders via a Synology server.

Is there anyone who can offer assistance?

Ralston18

Titan
Not uncommon....

Likely some confusion with respect to IP addresses and/or server names.

Do the Synology NAS units have individual Static IP addresses?

What about the MSI laptop? Likely DHCP.

Try using the \\server\sharename format when sharing folders.

FYI:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

and

https://www.techbout.com/share-files-folders-windows-10-44386/

The key is to plan out the sharing beforehand and ensure that you follow the "rules" when setting up the shares.

Planning also includes having the necessary permissions in place.

Sketch out your sharing plan.

Get one share working and that share will likely serve as a template for other shares on other network devices.

Just take some time to think it all through beforehand.

mjw72652

Reputable
Sep 1, 2020
Did everything in both articles. The first time I opened File Explorer on the MSI, the MSI showed up in the network pane. The second time it did not. The permissions are all in place for everyone for full control, since I am the only user on the network This is an ethernet network using a Deco Mesh Network, and everything is connected through an ethernet switch. I had this same problem with my previous Dell XPS-8940, which I just replaced with the current XPS-8960. All the IP addresses are reserved on the Deco, so everything always connects with the same IP address every time.

mjw72652

Reputable
Sep 1, 2020
First I made sure that everything in steps 1-3 above were correct. They were. I tried to map the drive using both the computer name in the network pane and using the MSI IP address, which I got from my network Deco app on my smartphone. Either way it would not map, asking for security credentials. I enabled SMB 1.0 support on both computers. I went to the credentials manager, and edited the Windows Credential for the MSI using the Microsoft account and password. I also tried entering a generic credential. Either way resulted in no change. When asked for credentials for the MSI, I tried using the Microsoft account username and password. Windows tells me these are incorrect. I tried accessing the MSI in File Explorer using the IP address. Same result. I made sure that the firewall settings on Windows Firewall on both computers was set to allow File and Printer Sharing. I opened Local Security Policy on both computers and set the Network Security as shown above. I restarted both computers. Right now the MSI File Explore shows only the MSI computer, which I can open up and see the shared folders. It does not show the Dell. The Dell File Explorer shows both the Dell and MSI computers, as well as my upstairs neighbor's laptop. The MSI does not show this computer. When I try to open the MSI computer in the Dell File Explorer, I am asked for Network Credentials. I can access the shared folders on the Dell just fine.

So, an hour's work accomplished virtually nothing. Thanks for your help.