[SOLVED] Windows 11 No Longer Booting Following Bios Update

sierraoscar

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my new build that someone may be able to assist me with.

I recently put my new system together. I installed Windows 11, the installation went perfectly, Windows booted fine all day and I was able to install all of my driver updates and whatnot.

Finally I went to update my ASUS motherboard bios using the EZ Update option in the bios itself. The bios updated fine. However, when the computer restarted immediately after the bios update I received the "The system has POSTed in safe mode" error message.

Interestingly, when I went to the boot override option in the bios and selected my SSD windows booted fine. However, whenever I restarted the computer I would still get the safe mode greeting and had to use the boot override option to boot windows.

The bios update has to have changed the secure boot settings in some way, but I can't figure out how.

To make matters worse, windows will not boot whatsoever now.

I have tried a fresh install of Windows 11 (by formatting the SSD). The installation runs fine, but immediately following the first restart during the installation the same problem reoccurs.

I have Secure Boot set to Windows UEFI mode in the bios. CSM is disabled. I cannot figure out what is going on. Any suggestions?

Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Hero Z690
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Processor: Intel Core i9 12900K

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Problem fixed, just a quick update for anyone who has a similar problem down the line.

Checked my bios and realised that the bios update and turned off XMP. Enabled XMP again and boot issue was resolved. A lot less complicated a fix than I had thought it was going to be. Thanks to all for the advice!

I'm using Corsair 32GB DDR5 6200Mhz. Seems like the bios simply does not like it without XMP enabled.
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my new build that someone may be able to assist me with.

I recently put my new system together. I installed Windows 11, the installation went perfectly, Windows booted fine all day and I was able to install all of my driver updates and whatnot.

Finally I went to update my ASUS motherboard bios using the EZ Update option in the bios itself. The bios updated fine. However, when the computer restarted immediately after the bios update I received the "The system has POSTed in safe mode" error message.

Interestingly, when I went to the boot override option in the bios and selected my SSD windows booted fine. However, whenever I restarted the computer I would still get the safe mode greeting and had to use the boot override option to boot windows.

The bios update has to have changed the secure boot settings in some way, but I can't figure out how.

To make matters worse, windows will not boot whatsoever now.

I have tried a fresh install of Windows 11 (by formatting the SSD). The installation runs fine, but immediately following the first restart during the installation the same problem reoccurs.

I have Secure Boot set to Windows UEFI mode in the bios. CSM is disabled. I cannot figure out what is going on. Any suggestions?

Motherboard: Asus Maximus X Hero Z690
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Processor: Intel Core i9 12900K

Thanks in advance.
in bios settings, in secure boot options, delete all keys and load platform default keys, then clear TPM

Thanks. I've cleared the keys and loaded the platform default ones. I can't find a tpm reset / clear option though. I'm in advanced settings, I'm assuming it would be under Trusted Computing? Can't find it.
found some random asus bios picture
QMcp6cn.png

on this picture its greyed out, but its hiding inside that "pending operation"

sierraoscar

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Thanks, I found it. Deleted all keys again, loaded platform defaults, set TPM clear and restarted. Same issue so far, back to the POSTed in safe mode screen.

The system was a blank screen for a good four minutes. Motherboard continuously cycling through codes on the LED display. Then the system powered down itself, restarted and that's where I am now - POSTed screen.

I'll try another reinstall of Windows 11. I can access the USB installer using the Boot Override option in the bios.

sierraoscar

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Same issue again unfortunately after attempting a Windows 11 reinstall - and just to emphasise, I'm deleting the old partitions entirely and creating a new one when attempting the reinstall.

Windows 11 appears to install fine - it get's to completion, but upon restart it does not boot.

It seems the bios isn't able to access the SSD for boot up.

This has me stumped. Perhaps I should try a secure erase of the SSD?

sierraoscar

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
I'm not sure what just happened, but after restarting the computer three times and going into boot override I am now in the process of completing the Windows 11 installation. Will revert back with an update. This really is a bit bizarre. Boot override did not work on the other two restarts.

sierraoscar

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Just a further update. The boot override option is working now and allowing me to boot into Windows 11. I'm just in the process of getting the installation back up and running, updates and so on.

I am still having the same issue in that I am getting a POSTed in safe mode message every time the system is turned on / restarts.

I'm reluctant to roll back the bios firmware considering the difficulty I've had so far, want to try and do a bit more troubleshooting first.

Anyone have any idea why only boot override is working? There's only one boot option, i.e. the SSD.

sierraoscar

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Problem fixed, just a quick update for anyone who has a similar problem down the line.

Checked my bios and realised that the bios update and turned off XMP. Enabled XMP again and boot issue was resolved. A lot less complicated a fix than I had thought it was going to be. Thanks to all for the advice!

I'm using Corsair 32GB DDR5 6200Mhz. Seems like the bios simply does not like it without XMP enabled.

Solution