Question Windows 11 not detecting secondary M.2 SSD on laptop ?

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Laptop model: Asus ROG Scar 15

so already had issues with windows 10 running on this machine to begin with. Got windows 11 pro, did a clean install update and disabled everything update wise from gpedit, services, startup, task scheduler, deleting and renaming certain executable and directories etc. But this stupid machine again just forced an update from what seems a reset task scheduler task for asus update and microsoft edge update despite deleting edge in its entirety, and now my secondary m.2 drive is gone.

I used driver booster once befor in attempt to make it read on my first windows 10 build, but that didnt work so thats when i reinstalled clean original windows 11. disabled windows update entirely, literally tore apart the files to get rid of 99% of windows bloatware and everything just fyi.

Whatever the forced update was about 4 hours ago is what did this. Also disabled the tooltip style pop up on the left click "wifi volume and battery" icon on taskbar. Nothing happens on left click. Tired of microsoft asus and amd overall.

ryzen 9 5900hx
32gb kingston fury 3200
rtx 3080
supposed to be whatever the original 1tb m.2 that was stock with the laptop
but my secondary is an intel 660p 2tb m.2 that was at 1% usage befor pulled out of my main pc. nothing big on it but im not doing another reinstall like everybody is so nonchalant about.

Does have some big save data on it though if i can salvage. Does not show up in windows tools or device manager at all. Nothing works. When I tried to use windows recovery on it befor it showed up once and then acted full, but showed 0 files, and said drive wasnt accessible.

I just want my drive to work like its worked in every other intel pc ive had in my life. But then I know microsoft has already killed windows since 8, but now its becoming unbearable.

Lutfij

Titan
Got windows 11 pro, did a clean install update and disabled everything update wise from gpedit, services, startup, task scheduler, deleting and renaming certain executable and directories etc.
Where did you source the installer for the OS from?

I used driver booster once befor in attempt to make it read on my first windows 10 build, but that didnt work so thats when i reinstalled clean original windows 11.
All you need to do is install all drivers manually, sourced from your laptop manufacturer's support site(with the latest version), in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates.

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Got windows 11 pro, did a clean install update and disabled everything update wise from gpedit, services, startup, task scheduler, deleting and renaming certain executable and directories etc.
Where did you source the installer for the OS from?

I used driver booster once befor in attempt to make it read on my first windows 10 build, but that didnt work so thats when i reinstalled clean original windows 11.
All you need to do is install all drivers manually, sourced from your laptop manufacturer's support site(with the latest version), in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates.
created a bootable usb from an old windows 11 repository. Updated to latest 2 months ago and then disabled everything or so it seemed. Everything worked perfectly until this most recent update that should not have been allowed. It was not a standard windows update, can not uninstall or even find what it is.

What I want to be able to find out is what forced an update yesterday, what allowed it, and where it came from.

Asus website does not have drivers for the storage controller, or at least standalone. last updated drivers and bios was 2022/2023. I can not find standalone storage controller for this. I guess I will have to take it apart, uninstall and reinstall is and see if it becomes detected somehow.

Is it true windows bypasses policies? I do see windows still checks for updates even after disabling every sort of communication to servers computers etc i could including telemetry/reporting/remote access.

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
this is the asus task that reenables itself, the other microsoft ones did too till i changed the trigger, but since the task is there it wont recreate. this is apparently a driver checker and clearly what destroyed the storage driver and whatever happened to my tooltip pop up for the taskbar. havent noticed other changes. im gonna copy and explore the directory in a few

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
Uninstalled, booted, then reinstalled and booted the M.2 SSD, it had a longer load time and the Windows loading circle but then booted normally but still no M,2 detected. still no 2nd drive detected in disk management. any direct link to a storage driver would be great. Its insanely tiring dealing with issues like this. it's definitely the last time I buy an asus/amd product.

Liljames326

Reputable
Mar 31, 2020
As you can see, the device shows but malfunctioned. wasnt showing earlier. says that it seems the port itself is bad. the laptop hasnt been moved in a week at least. the damn update killed my port? i forgot it does have my 2600 song backup, which is currently my only backup in addition to my game files.

Cant update the driver at all. disabling it and renabling it makes file explorer freeze for a good 3 minutes and still shows the port not working. i do not download/click suspicious links phishing emails anything. if amd/asus had a similar storage driver like intels it would be amazing. or am i just missing something easy?