Question Windows 11 on Surface Go 1

TheodosisK

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
I am the owner of a first-gen surface go and from the very first day I got this device I have to say, it was unbearable to use. Slow as hell and even notepad made the laptop lag.

I used for many years Ubuntu and Fedora (Ubuntu was a much better experience on the SurfaceGo) but I always craved the good old windows I was used to,

Last week I took the decision to boot Win 11. I thought to myself, either it's a hero or a zero. Needless to say, it's a definite hero.

The device runs smoothly for the first time (on windows), and everything feels more than workable and pleasant to use. After 3 years of owning this pc, I finally get to enjoy it.

CPU is stable at 42 - 48 Celcius, and RAM is at 65-70% usage. With all unsupportiveness considered, these are great standards to work with without any issues long-term. As for battery life, it's working nominal, like it did on Win10. On Linux there is this issue that the battery is being drained even if the laptop is powered off, so.... great success on that one too from my previous experience with Fedora specifically and a little less aggressive drainage on Ubuntu but still plentiful in comparison with Windows.

I used Windows Download Tool to get the ISO of Win 11 and Rufus 3.18 (Only this version has the bypass NPM [even though SurfaceGo has npm module installed] and CPU requirements).

I recommend it to everyone owning the Surface Go Gen 1 to upgrade to Win 11, as it's the best decision you will ever take for this device.

I hope this post gives some hope to all the owners of SurfaceGo Gen1 still struggling to get their email to load.

Cheers!