News Windows 11 Outperforms Linux With Alder Lake CPUs, Scheduler to Blame

Status
Not open for further replies.

evdjj3j

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
"This Linux scheduler is designed to control multiple core clusters, but it wasn't designed to differentiate between different types of cores, like Alder Lake's P-cores and E-cores."

I was under the impression that Android is Linux based and doesn't seem to have an issue with a mix of big and little cores.

Reactions: Atom Symbol

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
"This Linux scheduler is designed to control multiple core clusters, but it wasn't designed to differentiate between different types of cores, like Alder Lake's P-cores and E-cores."

I was under the impression that Android is Linux based and doesn't seem to have an issue with a mix of big and little cores.

True . . but Android was modified for use on such systems. At least, I assume that given the different processors, different types of cores, and so forth, that Linux didn't go into Android unaltered.

its almost like MS and intel screwed everyone who doesnt use their new cpu and OS.

the level of co-op intel had into WIN11 is disgusting from a fairness viewpoint.

"whats matter if other OS and cpu's dont like new chanegs we worked together on?"

Reactions: VforV

The kernel Android uses is forked from Linux's LTS branch and modified from there. At which point, they just replace the scheduler with something that makes more sense for the target platforms.

its almost like MS and intel screwed everyone who doesnt use their new cpu and OS.

the level of co-op intel had into WIN11 is disgusting from a fairness viewpoint.

"whats matter if other OS and cpu's dont like new chanegs we worked together on?"

So what you mean is intel should not work with MS to optimize their hardware on windows because that woild be unfair to linux?

So what you mean is intel should not work with MS to optimize their hardware on windows because that woild be unfair to linux?
you don't seem to udnerstand how close they worked together on 11.
it isnt even optimizing.
they flat out ignored older cpu's (as ryzen cpu and some older intel suffered performance hits on 11 early on.)

it was basically MS and intel making sure 11 played nice with 12th gen 1st and rest are lesser concerns. Both their shiny new babies get spotlight and focus.

you don't seem to udnerstand how close they worked together on 11.
it isnt even optimizing.
they flat out ignored older cpu's (as ryzen cpu and some older intel suffered performance hits on 11 early on.)

it was basically MS and intel making sure 11 played nice with 12th gen 1st and rest are lesser concerns. Both their shiny new babies get spotlight and focus.
Windows 11 needs tpm to even start so older cpus are not even relevant to them...

panotjk

Prominent
Nov 16, 2021
This "Windows 11 outperforms Linux" title is a joke.
According to the article, Windows 11 won 45% of tests and Linux won the other 55% of the tests.
Comparing number of tests won is not very useful. It is better to describe relative performance.

Reactions: VforV

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
I get the feeling someone has gotten money for something.
Or at least "favors".
It happens more and more in both YT and written so called press these days, especially in tech.

I watch these sites and channels mostly for entertainment, not for their accurate reports and professionalism. I have very few sources I trust (mainly HUB and GN).

Not everyone is a fool to believe their BS (even if they think we are), but it seems a lot of people are... and then there are some frequenting these places, spreading BS in comments too. So their system is working, I guess...

Meh. I don't see why making different types of cores in the same package is a good thing.
We're at a point now in hardware design where we have to stop considering a sledgehammer as a solution to everything. Take for instance the most common use case of computers for people: web apps. This could either mean a standalone application that requires connecting to a server to work or accessing the internet via a web browser. A user can have multiple instances of these apps open, all of which could be serviced well with power efficient cores because of one reason: the internet is the biggest bottleneck your computer has. So if you're going to have cores that sitting around idling, it doesn't make sense to spool up a power hungry core when an efficient core can get the job done and the user won't really notice a difference in performance.

Reactions: King_V
Status
Not open for further replies.