Question Windows 11 Professional UEFI Install and other Win 11 Questions ?

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Hello,

I remember when installing Windows 10 64-bit there was an option to install it in Legacy mode or with the newer UEFI mode. UEFI mode makes it more secure by enabling secure boot and such according to Microsoft. Also with UEFI the boot speed is faster Microsoft claims as well as there's more benefits with UEFI install compared to older legacy.

Is Windows 11 only available in 64-bit?

Can Win 11 be installed in Legacy?

Shall I assume that any Windows 11 computer has at least a TPM version 2.0 chip inside of it?

Before Windows 11 install do I have to activate the above features in the Bios UEFI manually for a proper install of Windows 11?

Can Windows 11 professional open PDF files and Zip files without the need of downloading/installing additional software? If not then which open-source software apps you guys recommend to download? I don't want to clutter my Win 11 Install keep it clean as possible to reduce Processes in Task Manager you know what I mean.

Cheers,

DSzymborski

Titan
Windows 11 is 64-bit only and requires UEFI as UEFI Secure Boot is mandatory.

Generally speaking, a prebuilt with Windows 11 ought to be compatible, I don't want to say 100% because there are a lot of places that sell PCs and not all of them are competent. Very few, if any, will have actual hardware TPM but will have the feature integrated in with modern motherboards.

Windows 11 can open PDF and ZIP files, but whether the defaults (Microsoft Edge and build-in File Explorer) are sufficient for your needs is something only you can know.

Is Windows 11 only available in 64-bit?
Yes, there's no 32-bit version
Can Win 11 be installed in Legacy?
No, it requires secure boot to be enabled in order to meet the TPM requirement.

Shall I assume that any Windows 11 computer has at least a TPM version 2.0 chip inside of it?
If it's a pre-built computer, yes.

Before Windows 11 install do I have to activate the above features in the Bios UEFI manually for a proper install of Windows 11?
Just make sure that CSM is Disabled. You can also check to make sure the TPM mode is configured to use fTPM.

Can Windows 11 professional open PDF files and Zip files without the need of downloading/installing additional software? If not then which open-source software apps you guys recommend to download? I don't want to clutter my Win 11 Install keep it clean as possible to reduce Processes in Task Manager you know what I mean.
Windows has always been able to open zip files since Me. However, I use 7-Zip since it covers nearly all archive file types.

PDF files can be opened by your web browser of choice now.

Reactions: very_452001

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Windows 11 is 64-bit only and requires UEFI as UEFI Secure Boot is mandatory.

Generally speaking, a prebuilt with Windows 11 ought to be compatible, I don't want to say 100% because there are a lot of places that sell PCs and not all of them are competent. Very few, if any, will have actual hardware TPM but will have the feature integrated in with modern motherboards.

Windows 11 can open PDF and ZIP files, but whether the defaults (Microsoft Edge and build-in File Explorer) are sufficient for your needs is something only you can know.

Okay so there is a difference between TPM compatibility motherboards and the TPM hardware chip itself on the motherboard? TPM compatibility motherboards mean you can buy and add a TPM 2.0 chip to it later you mean?

How do these shops/places/websites/businesses sell Windows 11 computers/laptops with non competent no actual TPM hardware so how do they get Windows 11 to work/run if that's the case.

Do you happen to know if the MSi A520M-A PRO motherboard has the actual TPM 2.0 chip on it? I been on the Msi website and it says its compatible but then again compatibility means its compatible might not have it correct?

Last edited:

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Okay great, lastly apart from 7-Zip and MS Office is there any other useful-needed programs/apps that you guys recommend to download and Install?

Finally is it best download from Web Browser or from the MS Store? Is 7-Zip available officially in the MS store?

Lets say I wanted to Download Adobe PDF, what is the difference between downloading it from the MS Store and from the Adobe website using a web browser?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay great, lastly apart from 7-Zip and MS Office is there any other useful-needed programs/apps that you guys recommend to download and Install?

Finally is it best download from Web Browser or from the MS Store? Is 7-Zip available officially in the MS store?

Lets say I wanted to Download Adobe PDF, what is the difference between downloading it from the MS Store and from the Adobe website using a web browser?
Have a look through ninite.com.

See what is there you might want to use.

I use that with every new PC or install I stand up.

There's no real advantage from updating from the MS Store directly, except better integration with other MS store apps or the Microsoft ecosystem. Also no, 7-zip doesn't have an MS store version.

Functionally there's no difference.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Two types of TPM. Physical and software
Physical is a chip on the motherboard
Software is actually run as a separate system on your CPU

fTPM is the software version on AMD systems, it runs in the AMD Security Processor, which is an ARM core on the CPU that the rest of the system cannot access (in theory) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor

intel call their version Intel Platform Trust Technology (IPTT) - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000007452/intel-nuc.html

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Have a look through ninite.com.

See what is there you might want to use.

I use that with every new PC or install I stand up.

Cheers, never heard of that site. Can that site be trusted? From all the apps displaying on that site, can I filter/sort which ones are open source and highest ranked?

Just to clarify the apps listed on that site are not available through Windows Update? I can see the Runtime apps listed there.

Lastly to confirm all those apps showing on that site are free not demo/trial versions?

The site says it used bots to manage the apps for you so will this stop windows notifications or apps that have been manually installed without using ninite to show notifications that a update is available?

Thanks,

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
There's no real advantage from updating from the MS Store directly, except better integration with other MS store apps or the Microsoft ecosystem. Also no, 7-zip doesn't have an MS store version.

Functionally there's no difference.

I can see 7-Zip in the MS store or is that a dodgy version of 7-Zip? Shall I assume everything listed in the MS store is safe and Vetted by Microsoft themselves?

Also tech people say Linux is superior to windows because the apps/programs in Linux are all isolated in 1 place like a store where all the apps are vetted open-source making Linux and its apps more secure unlike windows but windows have a MS store which is confusing.

Last edited:

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
Two types of TPM. Physical and software
Physical is a chip on the motherboard
Software is actually run as a separate system on your CPU

fTPM is the software version on AMD systems, it runs in the AMD Security Processor, which is an ARM core on the CPU that the rest of the system cannot access (in theory) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Platform_Security_Processor

intel call their version Intel Platform Trust Technology (IPTT) - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/articles/000007452/intel-nuc.html

Okay from my understanding the latest TPM hardware chip version is ver 2.0 that cannot be firmware updated but the Software TPM can be updated through Bios/Uefi updates? You can update hardware TPM by buying TPM ver 3.0 chip and throwing the old chip away for example?

From the above which is the best for security Hardware or Software TPM?

Does Bitlocker require hardware or software TPM?

USAFRet

Titan
Cheers, never heard of that site. Can that site be trusted? From all the apps displaying on that site, can I filter/sort which ones are open source and highest ranked?

Just to clarify the apps listed on that site are not available through Windows Update? I can see the Runtime apps listed there.

Lastly to confirm all those apps showing on that site are free not demo/trial versions?

The site says it used bots to manage the apps for you so will this stop windows notifications or apps that have been manually installed without using ninite to show notifications that a update is available?

Thanks,
Yes, a trusted site.
I use it for just about every new OS install.

Full versions. Some open source, others just freeware.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay from my understanding the latest TPM hardware chip version is ver 2.0 that cannot be firmware updated but the Software TPM can be updated through Bios/Uefi updates? You can update hardware TPM by buying TPM ver 3.0 chip and throwing the old chip away for example?

From the above which is the best for security Hardware or Software TPM?

Does Bitlocker require hardware or software TPM?
1st paragraph appears to be correct, I think its likely the bios updates don't actually change anything on the ftpm but rather how system interacts with it. In AMD CPU its a physically separate piece of hardware so software can update it only so much.

I think hardware is likely more secure as its a completely different part of equipment and is likely less numerous in the wild compared to the AMD or Intel CPU, so the number of people trying to crack into it are less.
Nothing is really secure in the future. AI and quantum computers will be able to break every code.

Bitlocker works with either.

Reactions: very_452001

very_452001

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2014
1st paragraph appears to be correct, I think its likely the bios updates don't actually change anything on the ftpm but rather how system interacts with it. In AMD CPU its a physically separate piece of hardware so software can update it only so much.

I think hardware is likely more secure as its a completely different part of equipment and is likely less numerous in the wild compared to the AMD or Intel CPU, so the number of people trying to crack into it are less.
Nothing is really secure in the future. AI and quantum computers will be able to break every code.

Bitlocker works with either.

Yeah true Ai powered by Quantum Computers can hack for you, you don't need to know anything about computers just ask the modded versions of Siri, Alexa and Cortana running on Quantum computers to hack and they will do it.

This current Ai ChatGPT we have now is ancient text based prompts, decades from now we look back at ChatGPT today and laugh at it as everybody will have their own personal adaptive Ai holograms running on Quantum chips that will replace phones. There wont be human communication interactions anymore, it will be Ai to Ai doing all the interactions for you.

Ai nowadays on Binary computers is not advanced, Ai still require input from the human user to operate plus Ai nowadays have no AC Artificial Consciousness or AFW Artifcial Free Will. Combine Ai + AC + AFW that requires no human input (self sufficient) on Quantum chips with a long lasting power source then humanity is threatened like in the Matrix or Terminator movies.

I don't have a time machine if you guys are wondering lol. But time machines are possible on Quantum tech.