News Windows 11 Runs and Ups on 2006-Era Single-core Intel Pentium 4 CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also there's another point in this: the hardware manufacturer also no longer supports the hardware. Microsoft needs that hardware manufacturer's support in case something goes wrong. Granted yes, a 3rd gen i5 is nearly 10 years old at this point so they should be aware of the quirks, but either way Microsoft has other fish to fry and they would rather not try to spend their engineering hours troubleshooting hardware issues.
I'm completely okay with them not supporting hardware this old. But there is a difference between supporting it and blocking it from working.

Back in the launch of windows 10, Microsoft didn't support lga775 machines, which makes sense. But they didn't block them from running the operating system. Why this time did they go out of their way to actively screw over people with older hardware for no benefit to them?

I am NOT okay with MS blocking it from running on hardware which it is 100% capable of working perfectly on.

And yea, I get my laptop is about 8 years old, but that's not really the point. You could have spent 2 grand on a 16 core threadripper workstation in early 2018 and now 3 years later windows 11 is blocking you from installing it.

Reactions: Krotow
I am NOT okay with MS blocking it from running on hardware which it is 100% capable of working perfectly on.
But if you have to disable something that's part of the standardized feature set, it's not 100% capable of working on that hardware, regardless. Microsoft wants to push out higher security feature as part of the standardized list. And if the hardware doesn't do it, oh well. Is it a problem that the hardware that can't do it can be as old as a few years? Sure, but they're also not ditching Windows 10 any time soon.

You could have spent 2 grand on a 16 core threadripper workstation in early 2018 and now 3 years later windows 11 is blocking you from installing it.
And I probably wouldn't upgrade that workstation to Windows 11 right out of the gate anyway and stick with Windows 10 until EOL, probably even longer (or switch it to Linux). Unless there's some damning reason why I need to move to Windows 11, I don't see a problem with this.

And really, that's my issue with this complaint. There's no dire need to move to Windows 11. There's no whizzbang, killer feature that makes Windows 11 light years better than Windows 10. There's nobody holding a gun to your head and saying you have to use it. Windows 10 is good until 2025. You have plenty of time to sort out what you want to do.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
You could have spent 2 grand on a 16 core threadripper workstation in early 2018 and now 3 years later windows 11 is blocking you from installing it.
You might not be able to upgrade from Win10 to 11 through Windows update with first ryzen, but you can likely still install it using Win11 installation media. I wouldn't say you're blocked from installing it.

castl3bravo

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Interesting study. I have a 7700K with a GTX1080. Probably won't be capable of playing AAA games after Windows 10 is end of life.

System has no TPM but I'm not "buying" into the need for that h/w. Especially when their are hacks for TPM.

As far as Linux is concerned Pop!_OS isn't a bad choice. It games fine & I can boot UEFI w/o bios security.

Reactions: Krotow

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting study. I have a 7700K with a GTX1080. Probably won't be capable of playing AAA games after Windows 10 is end of life.

System has no TPM but I'm not "buying" into the need for that h/w. Especially when their are hacks for TPM.
Your CPU supports Intel PTT, which is a TPM implemented in FW. So long as your motherboard FW supports it, you can just enable it in the BIOS, no need for "hacks" or to buy anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.