News Windows 11 Watermark Showing Up On Unsupported Systems

Non TPM motherboard: it hurts when I do windows 11
Microsoft: Well don't do that.

I am dreading the forced windows 11 update. 3 drive 4TB I have to back up. Then switch on secure boot and TPM which will wipe my install. Then reinstall windows. Restore backup. Then update to 11. Just....ugh.

Also my 3770k system...what ewaste

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Windows 11 has some surprisingly strict minimum system requirements, because it requires TPM 2.0 security. As a result, Windows 11 is only officially supported on CPUs equivalent to, or newer than, Intel's 8th-Gen (and some 7th-Gen) and AMD's 2nd-Gen processors.

Even on mobo that have TPM 2.0, it is often turned off by default in the BIOS.

But Microsoft will simply throw out an incorrect warning that the system lacks TPM 2.0.

And the average person has no idea what a BIOS is, let alone TPM 2.0.

Windows 11 is just a pointless mess.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Microsoft has started putting watermarks on desktops running Windows 11 on unsupported hardware.

Windows 11 Watermark Showing Up On Unsupported Systems : Read more

.....but this could be the first step toward more drastic measures

It's only a matter of time. Microsoft has it within their power to force you to buy more hardware you don't need. At some point it'll be demanded by the bean counters as a service to their stock price.

That outraged customer needs to learn how to read...

In reality this watermark is hardly the most outrageous thing. But it is a few more pieces of straw to add to the fire to be sure. The real outrage was TPM 2.0, which would've been something big enough to cause users to switch to something else such as Linux.

Reactions: Why_Me

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
No one is moving to linux, relax.

It used to be that Windows OS had 95% of the market lumped together considering every version. At the time, linux did not even register, it was lumped with "other" and "other" was pitifully small.

They aren't even breaking 75% anymore. Mac wins 3 to 1, however, yes. plenty of people are moving to linux. ChromeOS is big enough on its own to be counted separate, bringing Linux over 5% and Mac over 15%. Most of the unknowns today are most likely all some flavor of linux or another. What people are not using in huge numbers are HaikuOS or QNX.
https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

In roughly a decade, Microsoft has lost 20% of the desktop.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
But as far as this watermark: it show up in my 7700hq laptop, but not in my m5y71(Broadwell) tablet, my 4670k office pc or my 4130 garage music streamer- all on W11 since before release. The latter 2 are TPM 1.2, the m5y71 and 4130 are igpu and all have large enough hard drives and enough ram.

Why is the biggest disappointment- the 7700hq laptop the only one with the watermark? Because the TPM 2.0 firmware is out of date and ASUS made the laptop for W10 and never thought to put out an update.
Maybe I'll take it back to W10. There's this Atlas version that is pretty light and might give me better battery life.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
But as far as this watermark: it show up in my 7700hq laptop [. . .]

Why is the biggest disappointment- the 7700hq laptop the only one with the watermark? Because the TPM 2.0 firmware is out of date and ASUS made the laptop for W10 and never thought to put out an update.
I have this exact issue with my laptop. There's no technical reason why it cannot run Windows 11 without the watermark. The only issue is that Microsoft marked the CPU as unsupported even though they support a few other 7000-series CPUs. TPM firmware has nothing to do with it -- the cutoff is arbitrary. The note about an unsupported driver or process design is not applicable to the 7600 through 7900 series CPUs.

I really hate the UI design of Windows 11, but I use my laptop so infrequently that I'm fine with 11 being on there. Having to deal with Microsoft throwing watermarks on the screen or harassing users to upgrade perfectly good hardware is annoying -- especially when newer laptop hardware is so thermally constricted that it can't perform to the level of older hardware.

AlbertAZ

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
I am running Windows 11 (latest version ) on my 4790K, Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H MB with a SSD and a MSI RX580. I have had no problems and it does everything I need. So far no watermark and if it comes I will live with it with the hope that someone will come up with a hack or reg edit to get rid of it. I will not go back to Windows 10.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
I bought a pre-built PC with i3-10100 and Windows 11 and I got this watermark message recently but when I opened the bios to turn the TPM on, there was nothing under this option :(

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I bought a pre-built PC with i3-10100 and Windows 11 and I got this watermark message recently but when I opened the bios to turn the TPM on, there was nothing under this option :(
You want to look for something that says Platform Trust Technology (PTT) or Firmware TPM (fTPM). Turn that on. It's probably a CPU option, so it likely isn't in the security tab of UEFI config. Once the option is enabled, you may see additional controls show up in the security tab or in the CPU settings. Enable and activate TPM if given the options. Windows will do the rest.

Alternatively, Secure Boot might not be turned on because Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is enabled. You can disable CSM and turn on Secure Boot in standard mode. Modern hardware doesn't need CSM anymore.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I am running Windows 11 (latest version ) on my 4790K, Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H MB with a SSD and a MSI RX580. I have had no problems and it does everything I need. So far no watermark and if it comes I will live with it with the hope that someone will come up with a hack or reg edit to get rid of it. I will not go back to Windows 10.
How did you do that. 4th gen i7's are not suported by TPM 2.0. I also have a 4790k.