News Windows 11's RGB Control Software Is Finally Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyy8

Proper
Sep 22, 2023
Finally, no more third party software or proprietary software. Gamers can now rest knowing that RGB compatibility with their computer is now (basically) guaranteed.

Reactions: randyh121

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft's compatibility list is pretty short at this time, amounting to just 19 supported Razer peripherals, but hopefully this list expands rapidly once it is automatically integrated into all Windows 11 systems in the future.

Needs way more than this before its useful. Otherwise its just another choice among too many

Universal RGB software would be great. Right now I have to use 3 just to have matching colors

Reactions: helper800
Needs way more than this before its useful. Otherwise its just another choice among too many

Universal RGB software would be great. Right now I have to use 3 just to have matching colors
I have everything connected to my Asus motherboard and use Asus Aura to control everything except my graphics card, and that uses EVGA precision. I personally only like static colors so it not too much trouble. Also, since I have to use a splitter for my fans, they are not individually addressable, but this seems like a 'first world issues' kind of thing.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My software is:

Icue - KB, AIO & RAM
Devil Zone - GPU
RGB Fusion - RGB lights on MB (though I just set these once and uninstall software as it messes with Icue)

Motherboard makers should be easy to get onboard. Corsair would be obvious too. If they can get my GPU it would be amazing but so far Powercolor only lets its software do it.

Problem is there is no standard. Everyone making an eco system. Corsair Icue LInk, Lian Li uni fans... good ideas, shame they don't play together.

I had static colors until I added 2 more fake rgb ram sticks. Have more canvas now.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Seems to me Ambient lighting has been renamed to Dynamic lighting as that is what I see in Settings/personalise

Microsoft was testing a new lighting section that offered the option to enable ambient lighting for all the connected devices with RGB lighting. But in build 23466 and above, a new experimental feature replaced the old lighting section. Microsoft rebranded it to "Dynamic Lighting" which offers granular settings to tweak the lighting of connected devices.

wakuwaku

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Your articles regarding Dynamic Lighting are lacking a caveat:

Microsoft will be implementing a open standard. It is up to the manufacturers to implement the said open standard, either at driver level or firmware level. So far based on the documentation page I linked above, manufacturers are going to release new products that support dynamic lighting. There is no mention of updating existing devices whatsoever. So I would not be too hopeful until a motherboard maker says they are gonna update their existing motherboards, either driver or firmware updates, with Dynamic Lighting support.

Microsoft's new RGB control software aims to revolutionize the RGB software industry, potentially killing off dozens of 3rd party RGB software variants. With a proper RGB control solution now integrated into Windows 11, we could be on the verge of a completely unified RGB software experience, across multiple RGB manufacturers, which is something we've never seen before.
This seems like wishful thinking. At the very least, I suspect the RGB controls built into Windows will be lacking lots of features that other software provides, so there will likely continue to be room for third-party RGB utilities for anyone wanting something more than the bare minimum feature-set. It would be nice if all hardware was able to be made compatible with each company's software though, or at least if they all settled on a single standard moving forward for future hardware. Though I suspect some companies may want to keep people locked into their own hardware ecosystems.

YSCCC

Prominent
Dec 10, 2022
It seems don’t support the motherboard headers… my gigabyte board with gskill ram and gigabyte card can’t be controlled there

Colif

Win 11 Master
It seems don’t support the motherboard headers… my gigabyte board with gskill ram and gigabyte card can’t be controlled there
its all Razer devices now with one Microsoft mouse. If they can reduce need to run Synapse they will have done the world a service. Its only mice and keyboards so far.

But it is pretty basic. Needs to have more patterns and customisation before it will replace things like Icue or even signalrgb

Currently, if you want to control all RGB devices from one control panel, you need to buy all of your RGB devices from a single manufacturer

Unless that company is Razer in which case you need one version of Synapse for some generations of products and another version of Synapse for other generations.

Oct 4, 2023
Maybe one day we are able to monitor cpu temps and fanspeeds in task manager too.

I've waited for years for those, but I guess RGB is more important these days.

Colif

Win 11 Master
task manager isn't accurate in other areas now. Its not reliable.
It has no idea how fast a Ryzen CPU is running, among other problems.

windows does need a hardware monitor of some sorts.

Oct 4, 2023

Umm universal software has been available forever, OpenRGB is what I use, but theres also signal RGB, only downside of signal is you cant set different patterns or colours for different devices, everything is the same.

Its controlling my RAM, motherboard, Razer Mouse, Reservoir, water block and 9 Lian Li fans which are plugged into a Razer Chroma RGB Controller.

Yawn at Windows 11 Control, its years off and no where near doing what OpenRGB is doing.

9kzCVCJ.jpg

Last edited:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
That's why I have been so against buying RGB products with their own accompanying software. (I would rather have limited customization options than have yet another piece of unnecessary software that doesn't get used very often)

t3t4

Proper
Sep 5, 2023
Microsoft's new Windows 11 RGB control software is finally out of testing and can be downloaded by anyone with Windows 11.

Windows 11's RGB Control Software Is Finally Here : Read more
I guess this is a step in the right direction, but my way is way better! Everything with this goofy RGB crap should by necessity have a dedicated physical off switch.... No software required, just a simple on/off switch. That instantly solves the problem for 50% of us. For the other 50%, move switch to the on position and dance with the latest software gimmick!

I guess this is a step in the right direction, but my way is way better! Everything with this goofy RGB crap should by necessity have a dedicated physical off switch.... No software required, just a simple on/off switch. That instantly solves the problem for 50% of us. For the other 50%, move switch to the on position and dance with the latest software gimmick!
The physical on off switch you refer to is not plugging any of the RGB or ARGB cables into the motherboard. If you have a piece of hardware that does its RGB thing anyways, just find the LED strip on the physical device and disable it, usually by means of unplugging a cable. Viola, no more rave colors in the case.

t3t4

Proper
Sep 5, 2023
The physical on off switch you refer to is not plugging any of the RGB or ARGB cables into the motherboard. If you have a piece of hardware that does its RGB thing anyways, just find the LED strip on the physical device and disable it, usually by means of unplugging a cable. Viola, no more rave colors in the case.
Not plugging in is rarely ever an option. Disassembly is required in most cases to physically disconnect which not only voids the warranty for most, but requires technical knowledge most do not posses. Anybody can simply flip a simple on/off switch, it's the easiest and least expensive solution to this perpetual problem. My motherboard from MSI is the first and only thing I have ever seen to finally get this simple task correct. They have a simple physical switch on the board to simply turn all of the rainbow crap off. One simple switch solves the entire problem. I love it!

Crazyy8

Proper
Sep 22, 2023
Not plugging in is rarely ever an option. Disassembly is required in most cases to physically disconnect which not only voids the warranty for most, but requires technical knowledge most do not posses. Anybody can simply flip a simple on/off switch, it's the easiest and least expensive solution to this perpetual problem. My motherboard from MSI is the first and only thing I have ever seen to finally get this simple task correct. They have a simple physical switch on the board to simply turn all of the rainbow crap off. One simple switch solves the entire problem. I love it!
Are you talking about prebuilt? With custom made by yourself, opening a case or dissembling the case to find a cable won't void your warranty. Why add a feature to a mobo or case that caters to a small margin of people(In this case people who built a system inside a case but somehow can't open the case to unplug something)when it does nothing for the majority? It saves a bit of time, yes, but so does not buying unnecessary RGB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS