News Windows 12 Development Reportedly Begins In Earnest Next Month

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

USAFRet

Titan
I absolutely get the difference with GIMP/LibreOffice/paint.net/darktable/etcetcetc.

I have ALL of those installed, and used them alongside their expensive paid alternatives.

On my work system, I have the complete Adobe suite. Only because THEY paid for it.
Alongside my development function, I am also the office graphics dude.
Previous to me forcing the issue to get Adobe suite licenses, I would just email the basics home, and work on it there with GIMP/paint.net/PaintshopPro.

For Office - Libre...yes, there are some differences. They are not 100% interchangeable.
But...that is only seen in a corporate environment.

Recently in here, a member:
"I pirated MS Office, and now my PC has malware"

That happens all the time.
For NO reason.

USAFRet

Titan
He certainly didn't knew where to get stuff without malware. And I believe that he could be able to do his stuff with MS Office online version and LibreOffice too.
Exactly.

But we see far too many people who say - "I NEED Photoshop/VegasPro/Office/TheNewestGame...but they are too expensive....WAAAAAA. And now my system is hosed up!"

garylcamp

Commendable
Jun 12, 2021
I am a long time Windows user (I still have ver 3 and lost my ver 1 floppy). But I cant go on. I am loading Linux dual boot on all my 4 home machines. I have had it with MS constant changes for change sake. There is no doubt MS wants W11 and possibly higher so they can incorporate the pay as you go system. I wont pay any more. Linux here I come.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I have a toe in both camps, though more of my computers run Windows 10 than Linux (Mint). Let's just say that with Mint, you'll never be on the bleeding edge. Linux does not make upgrading to a new kernel version easy, and you will need that data backup (how old is yours?) more often than not. Unfortunately, in Linux, not being on the bleeding edge holds for apps as well as the o/s - which is not always a good thing.
You may already be aware, but the behavior you're describing is more down to the distro you use, rather than linux as whole. Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS, which has a two year update cycle for major releases. If you want bleeding edge, you should go with a rolling release distro.

Reactions: Krotow