windows 2000 missing or corrupted file \winnt\system32\config\system

PeterSve

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
does anybody know how to fix this, i have tried with original windows cd but after C:\ i don't know what to do.

Insert the Windows 2000 CD and Go to Start \ Run \ type: "SFC /SCANNOW" (no quotes) and press Enter... the System File Checker application will search for missing or corrupted system files and replace them fresh from the installation CD. Leave the computer alone while the process is running to help it finish faster and prevent errors.

No, it won't. The file in question is the registry's SYSTEM hive, it doesn't exist on the installation CD as it is unique to each computer.

This is written for XP but can also be used with 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us

You're right!...I didn't pay close attention to which file it was. If the "SYSTEM" file is corrupted it may be auto-backed up and named SYSTEM.SAV which can be renamed from a host computer or a Live CD as SYSTEM and used to restore the registry to a previous condition... if the file date is not recent, it may restore the registry to an earlier state and not to the latest. And if the SYSTEM file is missing, it can be searched for and possibly restored with some application like Recuva. The KB307545 fix is probably better but a lot more complicated.

Edit: According to the KB307545 instructions, it appears that the SYSTEM file can be restored from the Windows CD through the Recovery Console, and if the computer can boot in either normal of safe mode it may be possible to restore it with SFC /SCANNOW. The inconvenience is it would restore the registry to a new installation state and much information would be lost.

Another option is with the Hirens Boot CD and the included application named RegResWiz... if the application finds an appropriately dated Registry backup it can do a reasonably good job. I've used this application several times with good results.. a few other times it hasn't found registry backups so it's done nothing, but most of the times it's worked with good results.

Also, the simplest solution if at all possible, is attempting to logon in Safe Mode. If it's achieved, the next step would be doing a system Restore. It may or not be possible but if it's not, the only loss is a couple of minutes.