Windows 2000 Upgrade

I tried to upgrade my pc from windows 98 to windows 2000.
However, I did not do a clean install. The installation
process got 99% of the way through where is saves the
settings. The install then stops and then reboots and the
whole install process is started over. It will do this for
hours if I let it.
When I put in a ms-dos startup disk, only my d: drive
shows up, not my c:. I have the original win 98 install cd
and the win 2000 cd.
If possible I would like to get the documents back before
formating anything.
PLEASE HELP!! I am a desperate college student that needs
to get to my VB .net projects ASAP!
Can I boot from the win 98 cd?
Thanks,
Nathan
..

If you converted your C: drive to NTFS, then you're
hosed. Windows 98 won't be able to see it.

If you have the room do a parallel clean install of the operating system. To
do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts. Install to a separate partition (if possible) or at least a
different directory \winnt2 recover your data then clean install the OS.

To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup
disks. The set of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000
CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute
makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the
prompts.

During Windows 2000 setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows 2000 drivers for your devices.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]