[SOLVED] Windows 20H2 - USB Installation - Stuck on blinking underscore

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hello all!

Basically it loads for a bit, the windows logo appears for a second then I'm stuck on a blinking underscore.

Things I've tried already:

1. Using Rufus and trying all the options.
  2. Version 1909 works and boots into installation menu (had to go and find a old iso, was very sketch.)
  3. Harddrive scanned all sweet.
  4. This same issue happened on the version 2004 media creation tool.
  5. Primary sata cable is plugged into harddrive. I read somewhere that could be a reason. But only 1 harddrive is plugged in anyways.
  6. Bios is completely up to date.
And that's about it really.

I did read about another older win 7/8 media creation tool that apparently works with the Win 10 iso that could work but I'm not certain.

Thank you :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you burning to a DVD or writing to a USB drive?

You don't need to use Rufus to write to a USB drive. The MCT will do that.

What storage devices (SSD/HDD) do you have installed on the target platform? Do you have only the intended boot device connected while installing Windows?

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Full system specs?
Does this motherboard have a secondary RAID/SATA chip on it?

I was actually looking to put my system spec s on my profile but I couldn't find it. Might need to have another look.

I have a Asus Rampage III Formula :) older mobo I know but I've never had this issue with any other version before 2004.

I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject of RAID/SATA to answer that question.

Forgive me.
Are you burning to a DVD or writing to a USB drive?

You don't need to use Rufus to write to a USB drive. The MCT will do that.

What storage devices (SSD/HDD) do you have installed on the target platform? Do you have only the intended boot device connected while installing Windows?

I used the windows media creation tool on a usb. I mentioned Rufus as I had read that installing Windows into a usb via that program might have been a fix to my issue :).

I have one WD1002FAEX Caviar Black. I'm not sure I understand the 2nd question but I'm only trying to install Windows on this 1 harddrive.

Sorry if I couldn't be more informative and thank you for the responses <3

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Installing to a single HDD, understood.

Did you following the steps in the aforementioned tutorial?

The blinking underscore indicates an issue with the boot device (in this case your HDD). Are you trying to perform a full, clean install of Windows or an upgrade from the previous version? Just want to be clear.

I have a Asus Rampage III Formula
I used the windows media creation tool on a usb. I mentioned Rufus as I had read that installing Windows into a usb via that program might have been a fix to my issue :).
That's pretty old board. Probably doesn't support UEFI.
You have to prepare windows installation media for legacy install.

You're getting blinking underscore most likely because installation media is made for UEFI install.

You need to go into the bios and make sure boot from USB is selected first in the boot order. You can also hit F8 at boot and tell it to boot from USB 1 time. The blinking underscore means its trying to boot from the Hard drive first before loading the USB media and it cant find a OS to boot off of.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
You need to go into the bios and make sure boot from USB is selected first in the boot order. You can also hit F8 at boot and tell it to boot from USB 1 time. The blinking underscore means its trying to boot from the Hard drive first before loading the USB media and it cant find a OS to boot off of.

So what can I do? For example in the instance of a new harddrive. I had 2 but 1 of them had bad sectors so I removed that one and decided to use only the other one.

I think I had this weird thing where HD 1 had the boot but HD 0 was where Windows and c drive was. I'm currently using HD 0.

I had both harddrives plugged in when I installed Windows. I didn't even know till now that its better to only have 1 plugged in for installation. I thought it would be as simple as just picking the harddrive in installation menu.

Would that have anything to do with it?

Last edited:

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
I'm the biggest fool on the planet. I let the blinking underscore blink for a little while and eventually the installer started. Turns out it was just loading. Lmao omg