Windows 2k Versus XP

Which O.S. is more secure?? is there a chart or a
document?? please advice.

Both "operating systems" have serious security have always
had serious flaws and will like always have them. If
security is a real concern and you want a "secure" O.S.
use unix like the banks do.

If you are concerned about security then why does
XP need a service pack to fix security as stated by
IBTerry [MSFT]? Also the desktop is not where the real
security takes place, it is in the O.S. It is likely
true that XP SP2 will be soon be released then SP3 to fix
problems with SP2, and SP4 fix problems with SP3
etc,etc,etc.... Win2K which is what I have according to
IBTerry is not supported. Why? I still use it even though
it is from a security standpoint, defective, in my
opinion. I also use Red Hat Linux for years and do not
remember any serious security issues. Microsoft uses
a "bait and switch" method of marketing promising
their "fixes" will solve all your security problems if
you "upgrade". Historically what usually happens is that
they cause more problems than they solve. The real
solution is to use a real O.S. (unix of course), for
example Red Hat Linux which has excellent security and is
far cheaper than XP. Ultimately it depends who you are and
what you want to do with your system.

Search the net for O.S. security comparisons...
Try here for example for a comparison of operating systems

http://studies.ac.upc.es/ETSETB/ARISO2/Documentacion/oscomp
..html

Ultimately, ... you can choose.

Actually many banks use OS/2 and VMS and other mainframes as well as Windows. I
worked for a Fortune 5 company who had a couple of divisions that were a banks
and the unix use was minimal and those were the systems that most often failed
the external audits. The most secure systems overall were the Windows systems,
however, they weren't just loaded with a CD, people who understood Windows
worked out the security and got the machines configured that way.

joe

www.joeware.net

Jeffrey J. Sigler wrote:
> Both "operating systems" have serious security have always
> had serious flaws and will like always have them. If
> security is a real concern and you want a "secure" O.S.
> use unix like the banks do.

XP is where you need to be if you are concerneded about security on the
desktop. XP SP2 will be released in the near future. This is a major
Service Pack and the majority of the changes are security related. I don't
think it will be possible for most of these changes to be backported to
Win2K so you should only be looking at XP.

The following doc details some of the changes.
Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

You can also download the beta RC2 relase of the SP. I recommend you start
testing it in your environment to see if it will impact your existing
applications.
Windows XP Service Pack 2 Release Candidate 2 Preview
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

I hope this helps,

IBTerry [MSFT]

In my opinion XP Pro is the way to go.

-- AES EFS encryption available for files, no need for Recovery Agent, and password
reset vulnerability fixed for EFS.
-- Built in firewall.
-- Software Restriction Policies ** a HUGE plus**
-- Many more options for lockdown via Group/security policy
-- Extra groups such as network configuration operators to reduce the need of regular
users to be administrators.
-- Better backup/restore options.
-- Better built in support for wireless security - 802.1x and EAP tls which require
user and computer certificates.
-- Better WPA wireless support natively with tkip.

--- Steve

"alkoraishi" <alkoraishi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Which O.S. is more secure?? is there a chart or a
> document?? please advice.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:37:00 -0700,

> I also use Red Hat Linux for years and do not
>remember any serious security issues.

Selective memory?

Why is it I keep getting security advisories and kernel updates from
Red Hat? Perhaps you need to take a better look at:

https://www.redhat.com/security/

Security is a process, not an event. You have to stay on top of
security updates for *any* operating system.

Jeff

Very short sighted, whether purposely or not I don't know...

> security takes place, it is in the O.S. It is likely
> true that XP SP2 will be soon be released then SP3 to fix
> problems with SP2, and SP4 fix problems with SP3

Ditto for any OS, period. Yes, any.

> opinion. I also use Red Hat Linux for years and do not
> remember any serious security issues. Microsoft uses

I would attribute this to a poor memory or you don't know you are compromised
which is worse.

> solution is to use a real O.S. (unix of course), for
> example Red Hat Linux which has excellent security and is

Linux isn't Unix. It is a Unix look alike, don't fool yourself.

The most secure OS is the OS you know the most about. You then balance security
with useability.

Out of the box for "normal" desktop OSes, BSD is probably the most secure if you
follow basic install directions but it is because it installs the least stuff,
not because what it has is necessarily more secure. However most users would
probably find it the least useable as well.

www.joeware.net

I'm using the beta version of SP2, and there still daily
updates due to flaws in the OS.

Microsoft have a monoploy on desktop OS, and unless you
move to another OS, you have no option to have a firewall,
anti-virus, and go to Windows Update every day!!!

confers no rights.