Windows 7 (64-bit) randomly freezing...

iDrove

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
Problem
I have had this issue pretty much since the beginning and as of recently it's been happening more frequently. Sometimes the computer will lock up while I'm using it but much of the time I'll leave for a few hours and come back to find it frozen. The screens are still up and the system has not crashed as there is no blue screen of death.

What I've tried
I've read a bit around this issue and have come across "it might be a driver issue" on many of the articles I've looked into. That being said I updated all of my drivers yesterday using SlimDrivers software.
ofWGHuW.jpg

Specs

• * OS - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    * CPU - Intel Core i7 860
    * RAM - 6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    * Motherboard - ASUSTek P7P55D-E
    * Graphics - ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 1024MB Series (runs 3 HP LV2311 monitors)
    * Storage - Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120G SCSI Disk Device (SSD) (Operating System)
    * Storage - Western Digital WDC WD3200KS-00PFB0 (SATA)
    * Storage - Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (SATA)
    * Storage - Western Digital WDC WD10 02FAEX-00Z3A0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Is there something else that would be helpful to post that will assist in tracking down this extremely annoying issue?

Solution
Yeah, those cards would be fine. Not being a gamer, you could even go lower down the food chain in cards unless you need the performance for something else. How are you connected to run 4 monitors now? Using all 4 different output ports?

iDrove

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

Thanks for the tip, I downloaded both. CCleaner cleaned up some registry issues and malwarebytes didn't find anything.

I'll check back if this issue happens again...has been happening on almost an everyday basis over the past week.

iDrove

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

I forgot to mention I did run it multiple times before it was totally clean.

I just got home from work and the computer was frozen again. Any other things I should do or places I should look for an issue?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You could start eliminating components. Like the gfx card. I see that board has no integrated graphics. Can you borrow another card to use for awhile?
If not, you could uninstall the video driver and run off the default for awhile. Or let the Win Update find you the driver and use it. Here is a good driver uninstaller. Run it from safe mode. https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/550192/geforce-drivers/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v12-9-3-4-released-06-09-14-/
It isn't for Nvidia only. Just happens to be on their site.

Have you checked the memory for errors? Use memtest. Download the .ISO file and use it to burn a bootable CD. Boot to the CD and let it run on a single stick of RAM in the first slot for at least one full pass. Then try the other sticks one at a time. http://www.memtest.org/

iDrove

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

I ran memtest overnight and it did 6 passes with no errors. What did you mean by letting it run on a single stick of RAM? Should I physically remove the other RAM and then run it and then swap in the next in the first slot and so on? Or is there a setting I can do to target them individually?

I did remove the AMD gfx driver like you requested. Windows update looks to be providing the same driver that I just removed, "ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series". Since that looked to be the case I have not allowed that update but on the down side I only have 1 monitor instead of 3 for the time being. If this does fix the issue is my only solution to purchase another graphics card? What exactly would this mean, is there not a fixable solution with my current card? How would I know which card to get that wouldn't have this issue again?

Sorry for all of the questions, just trying to get this figured out.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, that's what I meant about the single stick of RAM. If memtest had found any errors, it would have been hard to target which stick was bad. But with no errors after that much time, the memory is OK.

Let's see if the driverless card still locks up before guessing at solutions. I have a feeling your issue might be hardware related. That was why I hoped you could beg, borrow, or steal another gfx card to test with.

1) What is the make/model of your power supply?

2) Another thing could be stuff running in the background. If you have a lot of stuff in your tray, disable as much as possible and see if that fixes the problem.

3)Also look in System Configuration/Startup and see how many boxes you have checked. Too many startup apps can cause problems if they are poorly coded.

iDrove

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

Fist of all thank you for the continued follow up on this!

I ran the driverless card for about 24 hours with no lockups. As soon as I had the driver re-installed it locked back up that day when I left the computer idle for a few hours.

1. The power supply I'm running is the CORSAIR HX750.

2. I disabled 2 items not being used.

3. I disabled a handful of items on startup that were no longer needed or used.

Since I seemed to have the issue after installing the gfx driver again what does that lead you to believe? Should I try running longer on the driverless setup or is this a good indication I may need to replace the card?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well... if you're sure the downloaded driver causes the issue, whereas the Win default driver does not, it would appear that the gfx driver is conflicting with some other piece of software. Or, the card is defective. I'd go ahead an let Win Update install the gfx driver for your card that it found in Update next. Exactly which HD 5700 card do you have? That is basically just a series number. 5750, 5760, 5770, 5780...

iDrove

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

I have the HD 5770. I thought I had read somewhere that a software issue should cause the blue screen to come up instead of just the computer freezing on the current screen. I don't know if that is right in all cases or if I have that understanding backwards.

I was looking into other cards today. I don't game on my PC and really the only use it for web development running 3 monitors with the occasional 4th connecting to my TV. I came across the Gigabyte GV-N750OC-1GI GTX 750 1GB listed at $99.99 ($79.99 after rebate) which looked to provide me with the multi-monitor support and not break the bank, thoughts? I also saw another model, the GV-N750OC-2GI GTX 750 2GB listed at $104.99 ($89.99 after rebate) and wasn't sure if the increase in memory was worth it for my needs.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, those cards would be fine. Not being a gamer, you could even go lower down the food chain in cards unless you need the performance for something else. How are you connected to run 4 monitors now? Using all 4 different output ports?

Solution

iDrove

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

Right now I have 2 on the standard DVI, 1 on DVI using a displayport to dvi converter, and the TV is through HDMI whenever I need it.

iDrove

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
Looks like the problem has been fixed with the new graphics card (GIGABYTE GV-N750OC-1GI)! I've been up and running just about 3 days with zero freezes. Thank you for helping narrow it down and glad to finally have that terribly annoying issue resolved!