[SOLVED] Windows 7 64 bootcamp black screen/blinking cursor for ages pre-boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptolomy_was_right

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Help!

I'm having the black screen with blinking cursor whenever I try and boot up Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit thru Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro. If i let it just sit there for maybe 2 minutes, it then goes to the Windows Boot Manager screen and allows me to click on Windows 7 and the it boots perfect. I've tried installing it twice, same thing. No problem booting OS X Snow Leo 10.6.3. Gott the right NVidia drivers installed, makes no difference. Have Paragon NTFS installed so I can get thru to NTFS partition from OS X. I badly need Windows too and don't wanna slow it down by running it in Parallels or VMWare Fusion. A little help?

Thanks a lot! :??:

MacBook Pro 15" 4,1
500GB HDD
6GB DDR2 667
NVidia GeForce 8600M GT
Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit + SL 10.6.3

Solution
Fixed! Peroblem was I think using OEM, which Bootcamp advise against using... they advise to use retail only. Fixed like this:

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.
2. Hold down Option key till all available disks are displayed and select DVD. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then 4. click Next.
5. Click Repair your computer.
6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
7.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type (these commands are safe)
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Code: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
Code: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
*Press ENTER after each...

ptolomy_was_right

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Fixed! Peroblem was I think using OEM, which Bootcamp advise against using... they advise to use retail only. Fixed like this:

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.
2. Hold down Option key till all available disks are displayed and select DVD. Press a key when you are prompted.
3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then 4. click Next.
5. Click Repair your computer.
6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
7.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

*Press ENTER after each command.*
*Restart your computer.*

Done. Rockin'

Solution

steveyg777

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Hi, i have a macbook pro 17" pre unibody aluminium.
Ive got the same problem. I havent tried leaving it for a few minutes to see if it will go onto boot up further yer but when i have gone to use the recovery feature on my windows 7 ultimate install disc (volume license) my install is detected as vista business edition!? And consequently it says i cant repair this installation cos its not the right installation. When i use the command prompt to do the bootrec commands the first two report success but the last (bcd) says there is no windows installation. Anyone know what i could do to resolve this?

Some background info: i uograded my hard drive and imaged the old one with r-drive image program and restored it to new drive so i have all my settings and games installed still. Initially it worked but now its not, although i cant remember if i did something to cause it not to...

Thanks for your help in advance. Ste

gyunagyos

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

U R AWESOME DUDE!

titanium

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012

Thanks a ton man! This saved my day.

c$$

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

did you ever figure this out??? i got the exact same issue.

dme

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I am trying to fix that blinking cursor issue also. When I do those steps listed out, I get "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows" after I hit next when selecting the OS I want to repair (Windows 7, 64 bit on a MacBook Pro). Any tips?

djjodav

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

You will be getting that error due to an incompatible CD.
For example, I have 4 PC's at my place (2 Laptops and 2 Desktops) I am running 2x OEM 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 1x OEM Win 7 64 bit Professional and lastly a 32bit Win7 HP OEM for my media center. If I use my 32 bit disc on a 64 bit installation it wont work. If i use my 64 bit professional disc on a 64 bit Home edition it wont work. There are work arounds and if you think this might be happening a bit more often then I suggest looking up how to make a windows 7 universal disc (Like the old vista ones). You need both a 64 bit and a 32 bit iso which are modified a bit to allow the installation of any of HP, Pro or Ult. Once both iso's are universal you need to merge them so you can install both 64 bit and 32 bit software. Google it for more info of follow this guide: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/85813-windows-7-universal-installation-disc-create.html
Hope this helps!

Mac_Mini_4Life

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

The command Bootrec.exe /FixBoot didn't work but after I rebooted it showed the black screen with cursor for a few moments and then it started up windows 7..

Thnx dude!

Magnusrm

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hi. My macbook pro 2009 has a faulty dvd rom, so i have installed win 7 by USB. It doesnt pop up on the boot menu when i reboot and hold down option key. How can i repair the windows after it is installed then?

My computer gets the black screen for maybe a minute and the fans go berserk. Then i get the log on window and everything is fast. The fans graduatly slows down.

Ive got a ssd, so it should be fast...

Thanks in advance

darshan0104

Honorable
May 7, 2013

You Simply rock buddy...

Jul 9, 2013

Has anyone solved this? I am having the same issue. It is a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. After the installation completes, I get the blinking cursor. Attempting to repair it, I get the message "This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows". This despite the fact that I'm using the same disc that I just used to install it.

Pulling my hair out over this. Any ideas?

guigagnon

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Thanks Ptolomy for these commands - helped me out quite a bit!

As for some of the issues for not having access to the command prompt:
Ran into this same issue with the 64 bit version of Windows (worked with the 32 bit version...).

Found this link that worked for me http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/682-command-prompt-startup.html - basically once you have booted up from the installation disc, on the first screen that pops up to choose language, etc, simply press shift+F10 (or shift+fn+F10) which brings you right into the command prompt.

My next step if it would not have worked would have been to create a System Repair Disc from my windows installation to use as the boot disc.

Good Luck!

Guillaume

mayflower88

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

SAVED THE DAY! THIS WORKS

bondwiz22

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
*Press ENTER after each command.*
*Restart your computer.*

Done. Rockin' [/quotemsg]

This solution worked. Thanks a lot!

bucko391

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks! Worked a treat!

mmoretto

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014

Worked like a charm, thank you!

PeteNZ

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

I Tried this. Got to "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" and it won't recognize when i press a key. Just stays on that screen then suddenly boots windows after about 30 seconds?

michaelwarne

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
There are more chances that your system in crash position. So reboot it and install a antivirus. So that next time you will not face these types of problems in future.
And the best suggestion is goto near harware shop he will charge some money and he will let you what is the main issue at there.

And if you are student & looking for great carrer then hardware & networking may be a great option for you. if you are intrested in this training then request a brochure: http://www.koenig-solutions.com/Free-Brochure.aspx

Okazakikirito

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

UR AWESOME BRO IT WORKED

Fapmaster2k

Reputable
Feb 2, 2015

Ianabc

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
I had this problem the other day and it booted after a few minutes. I rebooted it then and no problem. Today the same problem but no boot after waiting. I unplugged my zip drive from usb and it booted instantly. Glad it booted and hope it's okay. My zip drive as always been plugged in though. I installed mysql the other day, could that have anything to do with it?

PRAFULLA CHANDRA

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015

You just press f2 or f8 or your bios setting key (will be displayed in boot screen)
And select boot from hard disk because blinking under score is because of change in boot from -disk

Think it will help u

Status
Not open for further replies.