Windows 7 64bit Compatibility

darko_887

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
So, I made a better build on pcpartpicker, and I was searching if I can run win 7 64bit. I know that the data width of the CPU should be 64bit, and it is. But I don't know if the GPU is capable of that. See for yourselves and help if you can.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NqCfnH

Solution
You can run windows 7 64 bit.
The motherboard has drivers for windows 7 64 bit.
The nvidia cards also have drivers for windows 7 64 bit.
The included intel graphics may not be supported, but that is a moot point with a discrete graphics card.

I might add that 4gb is not sufficient, you want a 2 x 4gb ram kit.

You also do not need a sound card. The motherboard includes good HD sound.
At least try integrated first.

Lastly 5900rpm is not good for a windows drive. use a 7200 rom drive or, better yet a ssd.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 64-bit of the cpu is not the same as 64 bit windows. meaning you canrun 32 or 64 bit windows on a 32 bit processor if they made them anymore.

the gpu does not care at all which the cpu is, nor the OS version. the question really is "does win 7 support the cpu i want to buy?" they have cut and played with support to make you get win 10 for newer hardware. look carefully if the 6500 is supported and will run on win7. if it does, then you're good to go. i'm pretty sure it does but you should double check to be sure.

add win 7 64-bit to your build and partpicker does not flag it as incompatible. they are pretty reliable i that regard, but a quick google search won't hurt at all :)

USAFRet

Titan

Actually, its the other way around.
You cannot run a 64bit OS on a 32bit CPU.
You can run a 32bit OS on a 64bit CPU.

You can run windows 7 64 bit.
The motherboard has drivers for windows 7 64 bit.
The nvidia cards also have drivers for windows 7 64 bit.
The included intel graphics may not be supported, but that is a moot point with a discrete graphics card.

I might add that 4gb is not sufficient, you want a 2 x 4gb ram kit.

You also do not need a sound card. The motherboard includes good HD sound.
At least try integrated first.

Lastly 5900rpm is not good for a windows drive. use a 7200 rom drive or, better yet a ssd.

Solution
Skylake is fully supported on Windows 7 until Windows 7 support itself ends January 14, 2020. Microsoft had previously said only critical updates would be provided after July 2018 and before that, that all support would end early on July 2017 but backtracked after all the complaints.

The GT1030 has full driver support for Windows 7 64-bit. 32-bit support ended December 2017.

darko_887

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
Oh I'm sorry I meant mobo not GPU. I also will buy 2x4gb ram. So you guys are saying I can run 64bit, and I don't need a sound card. And what's skylake?