Windows 7 activation: Paying for something I already own

Robert J Stevenson

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I was gifted a full Windows 7 Ultimate as a present. But had problems running it in 64 bit. PC kept hanging. So bought windows 8 as an upgrade. But it would not install correctly. So 3 months later and and many, many breakdowns, I decided to invest in a new MoBo, chip and ram..... Now hard drive was not recognized, so then had to buy a new one.
All fine, working great but now Windows won't activate. It driving me mad. Why should I buy a new licence when I bought (gifted) the full product. If your PC NEEDS fixing/upgrading, why have to pay more just to use your own software. I also have Office 10 and Expression Studio 4. All 3 add up to a lot of money and I cant/shouldn't need to re-buy.

Solution
This would be the way I would do it

Copied from Microsoft site.

Activate using the telephone

If Windows isn't able to activate online, you'll have the option to activate Windows 7 using an automated phone system.

Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.‌

Click Show me other ways to activate.

Type your Windows 7 product key, and then click Next.

Click Use the automated phone system. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the location nearest you from the drop-down list, and then click Next.

Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated...
The problem here is that in order to stop people buying a cheap upgrade license and then reusing the old license Microsoft considers the upgrade license to have superseded the old one. As you have upgraded you have invalidated that license.

If you have not tried it yet what I would do is phone Microsoft on the help line. Explain that you have upgraded to W8 and it didn't work properly on your system, Explain that you have invested in new hardware to try and fix this but now you just want W7 back. You may get no joy but its worth trying.

Mactronix :)

Robert J Stevenson

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Robert J Stevenson

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Hi Mactronix

Trouble I have with that is I tried last night... got through to an India gentleman on what sounded like a skype connection. He took my name, phone number, email address and then wanted to take control of my PC by remote. I called a halt at this point as I have read all the horror stories regarding scam Microsoft help lines... and the way they infect your PC with a host of malware & trojens.

Do you know a direct call centre for the uk by any chance?

Sorry.... just re-read your reply. I tried windows 8 on another machine and did not like it. So when I updated mine I only installed windows 7 ( and as 8 would not install over 7 prior to the upgarde) the licence should still be valid.

regards
Robert

This would be the way I would do it

Copied from Microsoft site.

Activate using the telephone

If Windows isn't able to activate online, you'll have the option to activate Windows 7 using an automated phone system.

Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Activate Windows now.‌

Click Show me other ways to activate.

Type your Windows 7 product key, and then click Next.

Click Use the automated phone system. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the location nearest you from the drop-down list, and then click Next.

Call one of the available phone numbers listed. An automated system will guide you through the activation process.

When prompted, enter the installation ID that's listed on your screen into your phone's keypad.

Write down the confirmation ID that the phone system gives you.

Type the confirmation ID into the space provided under Step 3 in the activation dialog, click Next, and then follow the instructions.

If activation isn't successful, stay on the line to be transferred to a customer service representative who can assist you.

Mactronix :)

Solution

Robert J Stevenson

Honorable
May 22, 2013

Thank you kind sir.

Had to go through putting in all the numbers to then talk to someone. But it was sorted out.

Thank you again