Windows 7 always freezes on restart, but starts up fine after shutdown

reganweb

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Hello,

I just built a new system today, and I have been running into some significant issues whenever I try to reboot. Basically, the system hangs up on the Starting Windows screen at the exact same instance whenever I reboot.
mailgooglecomuq.jpg

This has been happening since I installed Windows 7 64-bit edition. After I booted and installed off of the installation DVD, it froze up on the first restart. I then tried to install Windows again. That worked, but it then again froze on the first reboot. I then had to manually shut down the pc and start it up again. Fortunately, it picked up where I left off and finished the Windows 7 install.

After I installed Windows 7, I have had no problems whatsoever expect for when I restart, as the system freezes at the point specified on the image above. However, if I shut down my computer and then start it up, everything loads fine.

Here are my specs:
AMD Phenom II Black Edition dual core 3.2 ghz CPU (all four cores unlocked, overclocked at 3.8 ghz)
HIS Radeon HD 4670 GPU
BIOSTAR T A870+ mobo
Seagate Barracuda SATA 7,200 RPM 1TB HD
4 gigs G.SKILL DDR3 240-pin RAM

I have searched high and low for a solution, and the only ones I have found point toward problems with either the GPU (which I doubt) and the hard drive (but how could that explain there being no issues upon a cold startup?) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

reganweb

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I have disabled a couple unnecessary processes and have disabled the extra two cores. I backed the OC off and now everything is at stock. Still having the problem, unfortunately. Does anyone know why this would affect me on a restart and not on a cold boot?

techbabyboy

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Some of the common causes of system freeze in Windows 7 are as follows:
Incompatible hardware or applications
Low memory or disk space
Bad sectors on hard disk
Corrupt or damaged Windows registry

Incompatible hardware or applications
If hardware devices such as keyboard and mouse are not supported by the operating system, then Windows freezes become a common occurrence. If you run heavy applications that occupy a lot of memory space, the chances of conflicts between the operating system and such applications increases, leading to slowing down of the system. Consequently, your system starts to freeze on a regular basis. To fix this issue, all you need to do is to check out the compatibility of the software applications and drivers with the operating system before installing them on your PC.

Low memory or disk space
Sometimes your system might lack sufficient hard disk space which then results in frequent system freezes. In most of such cases, cookies, temp files and folders occupy a lot of the memory space on your system. In such cases, you must use Disk Cleanup to delete such unwanted files and data from your system and free up the disk space. This will not just remove unwanted information from your hard disk, but will also allow you to compress your Recycle Bin and old files.

Bad sectors on hard disk
Very often it has been seen that some bad sectors start developing on the hard disk. The moment you intend to access the information stored in these bad sectors, the system will hang. So, to come to an amicable solution, you need to keep your hard disk in good working condition by formatting, defragmenting and running system scans on a regular basis.

Corrupt or damaged Windows registry
Corrupt or damaged Windows registry results in frequent system errors and system freezes. To cope with this issue, you should scan the Windows registry for errors by installing a registry cleaner software easily available on the Internet. To remove all the errors in the Windows registry, reboot your system.

reganweb

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Well, I tried backing off all of my overclocks and scaled back to the two original cores. Now, I'm not seeing the problem again. (Thanks dfusco for that suggestion). So now, is this possibly indicative of a faulty core (since AMD locked those two cores, I'm assuming they weren't perfect to start with) or is it more indicative of bad overclock settings (I used the BIOSTAR auto-overclock settings in the BIOS). I know the answer probably isn't clear-cut, but your speculations are much-appreciated. Thanks so much.

AdelEibesh

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
i had/still suffering with the same problem cept that my pc is not new or whatever its 1 year old and the first 6 months working on a windows vista (never changed the os its been always vista 32 bit) the pc works really great no freezing or anything ,

one day and without any warning the system hangs up and nothing is working i cant do anything but to shout it down manually , and it dident stop since than ,

always freezing randomly it doesent matter wither im using it or not and some how if i did a basic restart it well freeze up but if i did a shutdown it'll never do that .

and honestly im no pro when it comes to the pc stuff .an i couldent understand what you guys are talking about down here :p

Ps. after the problem started i changed/tested (Power supply / CPU / Ram / Hard Drive / all the cables / graphic card ) hell i almost bought a new pc :(

Base score:
Processor :Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Gaming graphics 2430 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 86GB Free (147GB Total)
Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

System :
Manufacturer INTEL
Model DG31PR
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
64-bit capable Yes

Total size of hard disk(s) 699 GB

@reganweb i hope that you can at least guide me on how to stop that thing cus its really bothering me and working on the pc is never the same since that problem started .

Please . this is the first time i see someone having the same problem an i need some help . on how to fix that :(

minimalist

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Win7 keeps event logs on boot, sleep, wakeup. You might get some hints from there.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools

View Performance Details in Event Log

reganweb

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I had unlocked my CPU. Two of the 4 cores were locked by AMD for good reason, apparently. Since one of those two cores was faulty, my computer wouldn't boot up. I disabled the unlocking of those cores and stuck with the default settings.

adil abbas

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
I am having the same problem , system hang whenever i restart but start properly after turn off, i have tried installing both windows xp and and 7 but problem stills the same?

Thinkahead

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
Uninstall the following Microsoft updates:

Kernel Mode Driver Framework v. 1.11 (KB2685811)
(KB2864202)

Hint:
Click the Windows Start Button and type "view installed updates" without the quotation marks to bring up the Installed Updates.
Right click the update you wish to uninstall and click "Uninstall".

Good Luck,
John Zatyko

Alarussa

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

John -
I have tried UN-installing both of the updates you identified.
I still have the problem of it freezing up on the reboot command.

I do know the problem seems to occur with the Optional Updates selections.
Prior to that part of the rebuilt, I did not see the issue.
Any further ideas?

Thanks!

Added Comment -

I am starting over on my rebuild, to follow the bread crumbs and potentially avoid the optional updates...... I can advise my results.
I do know it has nothing to do with SATA controls.
This is obviously a software update conflict that possibly Microsoft sees no reason to fix as they would prefer everyone upgrade to version 10 anyway.

offsider

Honorable
Nov 13, 2016
this shutdown has plagued me for a few month now until someone here suggested it could be the drivers.
found 9 of them needed updating and hooray..it solved the problem!
This Forum is very helpful thanks

soadzoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I had the same problem under windows 10. Turned out, it was caused by the wifi stick in one of the usb slots.

I unplugged it, and everything went back to normal. Hope this answer helps somebody.

Peter

Oct 16, 2018
Had the same problem, in msconfig, I had set to Selective Startup, when changed to Normal Startup, the Restart worked fine.without hanging and having to push the hard shutdown button. Thanks for your posts.